Mobile menu

Creation of glossary out of excel sheets with diverse English source
Thread poster: xxxL10N expert
xxxL10N expert
Brazil
Local time: 13:13
English
Nov 4, 2008

Hello everyone! I wonder could someone help me with the idea how to build a Multiterm glossary out of separate excel files. As final project I am about to create a huge glossary out of the excel sheets received from the client (about 8 files in total, 17 languages).The problem is that the source English text for all the sheets is diverse so first of all I need to somehow compare the English source text. Does someone have any macro which can be used for this purpose? Or the only way to proceed is doing manually.If so it may take years....

Thank you for all ideas and opinions!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-04 07:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What do you mean with "diverse"? Nov 4, 2008

Do you mean to say that the English terms differ from one Excel sheet to another, being the Japanese term the same?

In that case, what do you with to do with the diverse English terms? Would you like to keep them or would you like to have only one English term?

And... if you want to have only one English term for each Japanese term, how do you decide which English term is the right one (I reckon no macro can do that...)?

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
English to Russian
+ ...
you can find some info here Nov 4, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/russian/104908-И_заплакали_тут_все_швамбраны_и_швабранки.html?start=0brbr

Despite comment in Russian the pictures are quite self-explanatory.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2008-11-04 10:45]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
English to Russian
+ ...
more info Nov 4, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/russian/72534-Импорт_из_multiterm_convert.html?start=0&float=

xxxL10N expert
Brazil
Local time: 13:13
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 5, 2008

Dear Sergey,

Thank you for your help!
The information given seems to be quite handy.

Kind regards,
Valeriia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creation of glossary out of excel sheets with diverse English source

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs