https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/119812-trados_tm_files_management.html

Trados TM files Management
Thread poster: Charlotte Boudon
Charlotte Boudon
Charlotte Boudon  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:32
English to French
Nov 4, 2008

Good evening,

I'm a bit of a n00b on these forums so I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section...

I have a question regarding the location of TMs.

I'm installing Trados on a 2nd computer and trying to tidy things up a bit because the installation on the first machine was a bit of a mess and I was wondering where you guys store your TM files.

Any advice/suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Charlotte

[Edited at 2
... See more
Good evening,

I'm a bit of a n00b on these forums so I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section...

I have a question regarding the location of TMs.

I'm installing Trados on a 2nd computer and trying to tidy things up a bit because the installation on the first machine was a bit of a mess and I was wondering where you guys store your TM files.

Any advice/suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Charlotte

[Edited at 2008-11-05 13:09]
Collapse

egerhazi
egerhazi

Local time: 03:32
English to Hungarian
+ ...
separation Nov 5, 2008

Hello Charlotte,

TMs can be stored anywhere, depending on what you prefer.

My rule of thumb is simply the following:
always store information (I mean conventional files you save create and use, e.g. doc, xls..., even TM) and installed programs on different hard discs, or at least in different partitions of a single HD (not really preferred). If you should reinstall your computer in the futur for any reason, you won't need worry about transferring or loosing any im
... See more
Hello Charlotte,

TMs can be stored anywhere, depending on what you prefer.

My rule of thumb is simply the following:
always store information (I mean conventional files you save create and use, e.g. doc, xls..., even TM) and installed programs on different hard discs, or at least in different partitions of a single HD (not really preferred). If you should reinstall your computer in the futur for any reason, you won't need worry about transferring or loosing any important files.

If you have a "fresh" computer now, you might create a backup of the installation hard disc (usually labeled as C: ) using for example Norton Ghost. Then instead of reinstalling programs separately, you can restore the present condition of your operation system and programs as well as your software settings.

Dest regards,
L. Egerhazi
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on the kind of work you do Nov 5, 2008

I think it really depends on the type of work you do:

- Do you work for many end customers who send you many different, unconnected jobs?

- Do you work for agencies who send you regular materials for a number of their end customers?

Charlotte Boudon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
More info Nov 5, 2008

@ egerhazi
That's a bit more technical than I meant. On my 1st computer, I've kept all my TM files in a single folder, buried in Program Files/SDL Trados..... I was just wondering if this is common practice or if people keep them maybe in the various folders where they keep the projects to do with those TM files. Sorry if I'm not clear enough.

@ Tomás
I work with an agency. What do you suggest?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Never ever... Nov 5, 2008

save your files along withn programs and more even, in program directories!
If you need to install a new version, the installer might want to delete the folder from old installation... and then?

Please follow the advice given here. Let you hard disk be partitioned in C: and D:
Create a clear folder structure for your business.
For example create a directory "Translation Memories". There you create subdirectories for language pairs, within those then customers and s
... See more
save your files along withn programs and more even, in program directories!
If you need to install a new version, the installer might want to delete the folder from old installation... and then?

Please follow the advice given here. Let you hard disk be partitioned in C: and D:
Create a clear folder structure for your business.
For example create a directory "Translation Memories". There you create subdirectories for language pairs, within those then customers and so on.
The same for jobs - a directory called jobs, then directories with customer names, within those directories for each project, there then directories for "incoming", "work" and "outcoming" files and so on.

This will help you to manage not only your TMs, but all your work.
Collapse

Charlotte Boudon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thought so... Nov 5, 2008

@ Jerzy Czopik
I was pretty much convinced I'd done it wrong but thanks a lot for the advice. It'll be good to know that it's all done properly on the new one. Thankfully for me, I hadn't tried to install upgrades or anything like that. I won't make the same mistake twice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TM files Management

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »