Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
XP SP3 or Vista, which works better with SDL Trados 2007?
Thread poster: GKT
GKT  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:16
Member (2006)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Nov 5, 2008

Hello

After having used Windows 2000 and Trados 7 for years I will upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.
I will assemble a new PC for this and I wonder what would be the most reliable operating system, between Windows XP SP3 and Vista. I am using Office 2000 and will upgrade that too if necessary.

After having perused posts in this forum, I am leaning towards Windows XP 32-bit SP3, but if I am missing something could someone please let me know?

Thank you for your input.

GKT

Direct link Reply with quote

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:16
English to Serbian
+ ...
No difference Nov 5, 2008

I'm using SDL 2006 and didn't see any difference using it on XP or Vista. If your hardware meets the requirements, I would go for Vista SP1.

GKT  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2006)
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I appreciate your input Nov 5, 2008

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

I am leaning towards XP because I have the feeling that it will be faster and more reliable than Vista.

Since I assemble the PC myself, its hardware will meet any requirement, but I'll have to buy a Vista-compatible printer.

GKT

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:16
Member (2004)
German to English
After the initial trials and tribulations Nov 5, 2008

my Vista and Office 2007 machine is now working fine with the latest version of Trados. Its certainly faster than my XP laptop but that probably has to do with the dual cores.
Gillian

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not sure Nov 5, 2008

GKT wrote:

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

I am leaning towards XP because I have the feeling that it will be faster and more reliable than Vista.

I'm using both XP and Vista everyday (XP SP2 at work, Vista SP1 at home) on similar specs and can't say there are noticeable differences either in speed or reliability. Vista is more future-proof and will give you smoother transition to Win7 when it comes, so should be somewhat better choice. Though I don't insist.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:16
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
I would like to know too Nov 5, 2008

I'm running SDL 2007 SP2 on a XP-SP3 machine w/ Office 2003 with no problems, specially when I got a new cpu (a phenom) TagEditor works much much faster. I too would like to know if Vista would have any benefits over XP-SP3 because if it does, I would surely upgrade.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:16
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
The same; maybe a bit faster with Vista Nov 5, 2008

I didn't notice a major difference between XP SP2 and Vista running Trados 2007 and Office 2003. My Vista computer is better than my XP computer, so Trados feels faster. Overall I think Vista has better features than XP, but I haven't used an XP SP3 computer. One thing that I did notice is that Workbench crashes way less often in Vista than in XP.

GKT  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2006)
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 6, 2008

No difference... working fine.. less crashes...more future-proof

Well, I suppose that makes the case for choosing Vista.

Many thanks to all for your input.

GKT

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm incompatible with Vista (UAC) Nov 6, 2008

GKT wrote:

Despite of the SDL claims, SDL Trados is not fully compatible with Vista.
E.g., by default, Muliterm doesn't work in Word because it's incompatible with the UAC implemented in Vista.

I suggest XP.

And Office 2003, if available.
Trados may be tremendously slow with Word 2007.

Cheers
GG

GKT  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2006)
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 6, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

GKT wrote:

E.g., by default, Muliterm doesn't work in Word because it's incompatible with the UAC implemented in Vista.

I suggest XP.

Cheers
GG

Thank you for your opinion.
Well, Multiterm not working with Word would certainly be an issue. I have read that disabling UAC would solve the problem. Am I over-optimistic?

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
XP is faster Nov 6, 2008

After almost a year trying with Vista (preinstalled) on my brand new laptop (dual core, 3 Gb RAM etc.) I finally formatted it and installed XP instead last week. It cost me a new license and a full day of work (it wasn't so easy to find the right drivers) but I'm very happy to have finally done it.

The computer is now much much much faster, and the main improvement is that I am now able to move my files wherever I want without being told that I am not allowed to do this or that. Plus, the temperature is now 10° C lower on average, which is important for a laptop. I do not miss any of the Vista features - nor the transparency effects (I had deactivated them first thing anyway, I don't like to be disturbed by this kind of things when I'm working) nor the funny directory system (shortcuts in all directions, making it hard to know where the files are *actually* located on the hd) nor the warning pop-up windows (I had deactivated all that could be deactivated, user control and everything - but it wasn't enough).

No problem with Trados whatsoever on both systems (the only difference being the speed and the noise from the fan...)

Also, I have switched to Ubuntu (Linux) for my desktop, but Trados is not compatible (while Word+Wordfast is), nor some dictionaries.

Florence

[Modifié le 2008-11-06 13:07]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Nov 6, 2008

I'd go XP and office 2003.
A) Vista failed. That should tell you something.
B) Some people are having troubles with Trados and vista.
C) Word 2007 has a different UI from 2003 and the earlier ones. I used it for 10 minutes and it drove me nuts. No new functionality was introduced except the docx format, they just screwed up the layout for fun. There is a hack to get back the old UI but why not have it by default? Then there are the trados compatibility issues.

The bottom line is, Vista and Word 2007 intorduce no major performance/functionality gains while being potentially more problematic and less tested than XP/office 2003.
I mean, is there any problem with Word 2003 vs trados that has not been discussed and solved in the forums? Probably not.

When Windows 7 and the accompanying new office/trados software drops, gets tested widely and gets the thumbs up from translators, there may be a reason to upgrade. Now, I don't see any.

[Edited at 2008-11-06 13:48]

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:16
Partial member
English to Greek
+ ...
Vista, never again! Nov 6, 2008

By my experience, Vista works just fine with Trados 2007, just as it did with Trados 7. But, during the 9 months that I used it, the modem didn't work seamlessly, the old printer didn't work at all (even though it appeared as compatible and installed) and then the new printer had problems, too, and Vista was extremely slow doing anything. I also need to point out that, IMO, Vista is an extremely unreliable platform, as one day it might work great with everything, and the following day it might refuse to perform even the easiest task (the last time I remember that it had taken 20 minutes to open a Word document!). The machine was new and strong, with very good specs, so all I can blame for the problems is Vista. It's a pity that we pay all this money to buy a good system and we end up wasting great machines, nerves and money on mediocre ideas by "market leaders". Vista is more impressive, and some say it's safer, too, but after XP, they should only create great stuff, not just whatever they can come up with! Of course, after 9 months of problems I downgraded to XP and I am perfectly happy about this decision.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm incompatible with Windows guidelines... Nov 6, 2008

GKT wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I suggest XP.

Cheers
GG

Thank you for your opinion.
Well, Multiterm not working with Word would certainly be an issue. I have read that disabling UAC would solve the problem. Am I over-optimistic? [/quote]

In theory, you' re right.
But I fear it may be more issues.
As the Multiterm data structure doesn't comply the Windows guidelines and Vista may be very strict with the user rights, I imagine you may experience serious problems on the non administrative accounts.
The workaround is simple for XP, I suppose Vista may behave in another way.

It's not a good idea to work on an administrative account without UAC to make work Trados correctly.
As Multiterm programmers are incompetent at this point (UAC is an emblematic feature of Vista...), I suppose it may be more subtle quirks.

Cheers
GG

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:16
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Multiterm does work in Vista Nov 6, 2008

I can only speak for myself but I don't have any problem with Vista and Trados/Multiterm nor with any of my peripherals. But as the saying goes, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XP SP3 or Vista, which works better with SDL Trados 2007?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs