Trouble cleaning INX files with Trados 2007
Thread poster: TTilch

TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
English to German
+ ...
Nov 5, 2008

Hi there,

We're currently always having trouble cleaning INX files that have been translated in TagEditor (Trados 2007). This happens with files from several different clients, and I've also heard back from a client that had trouble himself cleaning the files.

Also, opening an INX.TTX file sometimes takes up to 10 minutes with an up-to-date computer, and if the file gets cleaned up at all, it takes a loooooooong time until it finally finishes - it looks as if the system is hung up, showing already 100% complete on status, but taking ages to save the file on disk and finishing the last step.

Is there a known problem? Is anyone else having the same problems?

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do all partner in your supply chain have exact the same version of Trados? Nov 5, 2008

And I mean really exact the same - version number, build number and patches installed.
It is enough that one part of the supply chain will change the version and you may get in trouble. More on in article # 1287, 1893.

I would also advise you to install all patches available for InDesign.
Use InDesign CS3, it delivers more stable results in my opinion. After exporting indd to inx close the indd, open the newly created inx and export it again to inx. This also helps to prevent some trouble. And of course I strongly assume your indd files are properly prepared - no unnecessary breaks, all text boxes big enough to show all text and similar.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes it takes time Nov 5, 2008

Are you working in a server, i.e. are the files located on a network location and not direction on your PC? The same thing happens to us and from what I've heard from SDL, this is often the case when files are located on remote locations (not directly on the PC accessing them). Luckily, we have TeamWorks to process our INX files and create TTX files for us, but whenever we need to by-pass TeamWorks, it takes ages to open/convert the files!

When the INX file is opened directly, you will notice a sort of intermediate file being created on the same location. Usually when this file gets the same size (more or less) as the original INX file, your TTX will open in Tag Editor. The same process happens when cleaning up the document. When Workbench re-converts the file to its original format, the intermediate file is created in the same folder. When this file reaches the size of the newly translated INX file as it should be, your old INX file will be replaced by the translated one and the intermediate file will disappear.

And as you might have guessed, the bigger the INX, the longer the process takes...

By the way, to clean up/convert to original format, you need to have the original file located in the same folder as your TTX file.

For the rest, regarding possible errors, Jerzy's reply is spot on.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Forget about Trados Nov 6, 2008

Forget about working with INX files in trados, unless you prepare the INX yourselves.
Use across or MemoQ (I'm not sure about DVX). These are far more reliable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble cleaning INX files with Trados 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs