SDL Trados server - remote access options
Thread poster: Dimmo
Dimmo
Local time: 13:57
English to Bulgarian
Nov 6, 2008

First of all I have to admit that I’m a beginner in managing SDL Trados applications. One of my roles in the office is to manage SDL Trados Server Manager 2007 - we have a server based version of the program (14 workstations). As you know, in order to use the Trados applications, each workstation connects to the server and receives its license from it. That makes impossible working when you’re out of the network – no bringing additional tasks home, no busy Sundays. This happy time is over - I have to travel abroad and this fact forces me to ask you the following: how can I work when I’m not connected to my office network? Is it better to use the “Trados Anywhere” option to access the server or it is better to configure a VPN connection to the Trados server? If VPN is a better idea, can you advise me which VPN client should I use?

Thank you in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOptiproz Pri
Local time: 12:57
English
Maybe... Nov 7, 2008

Hi trakk

Isn´t SDL not offering some Server trainings?

Cheers

Stefan Gentz
Local time: 12:57
English to German
+ ...
TM Anywhere Nov 8, 2008

Hi "trakk",

it should be no problem to connect to your tm server via TM Anywhere. It is very easy to use from the workbench with > File > Connect...
However you will need a license for the local PC at home. For the weekend you can "borrow" a license from one of your 14 office workstations with the License Manager. The License Manager can be found in the windows start in Folder SDL TRADOS or for example in the Workbench > Help > About > License Manager > Borrow or Return.

I do not see any advantage in VPN here.

(You might also like to consider something like UltraVNC if you have fast connections.)

Kind Regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

P.S.: You will probably get more support from the community with a "real name"

Dimmo
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Nov 10, 2008

Mr Gentz, thank you very much for your answer! I was told that there is a limitation of borrowing and returning the licenses. Your answer means that the person who told me that is not right so I can borrow and return a license as many times as I want.

By the way UltraVNC is useful in a lot of fields. I'll do my experiments and write here soon.

p.s. Using the "real name" is a local rule. If I post my real name in some of the forums I use, it could be equal to a suicide

RGRDS,
Dimmo Petrov

Dimmo
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
Late reply May 29, 2009

VPN is not a good decision - the connection to the Trados Server via VPN is slow.
If your Trados Server is behind a central firewall, you have to find a way to avoid it - another LAN card on the Trados Server and complicate LAN settings are necessary.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados server - remote access options

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs