Trados 2007 FL - PC keeps shutting down
Thread poster: Maria Schuermans
Maria Schuermans
Maria Schuermans
Local time: 06:31
French to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 6, 2008

When using Work bench my computer keeps shutting down. This is very annoying and I don't know what I can do to stop this. Anyone?
My system:
Mobile AMD Sempron processor 2800+
60 GB HDD
512 MB DDR
many thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-06 15:50]

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Probably not Trados Nov 6, 2008

Did you try launching only Workbench or only Word?
Did you install any programs recently? Do you have updated antivirus installed?

My gut feeling is that it has nothing to do with Workbench.

Maria Schuermans
Maria Schuermans
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Nov 6, 2008

I did none of the things you mention. The problem occurs especially when the document is longer than +/- 10 pages. I'm afraid it has everything to do with Trados because it only happens when I translate a Word document with work bench. So far no problems with TagEditor, WinAlign,...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Need to ask... Nov 6, 2008

...what brand is your PC (we use Dells and had some issues with preinstalled OS's) and what is your OS exactly (and what Service Pack)?

Maria Schuermans
Maria Schuermans
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
system Nov 6, 2008

Acer Aspire 3002LMI, nothing special pre installed. Work bench worked just fine for several months. OS, Windows XP, PS 3 installed recently but nothing changed.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:31
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Overheating? Nov 6, 2008

I had a mysterious shut-down problem with my previous Toshiba laptop. The problem was overheating. It would shut down after being on for several hours, especially during processor-intensive operations.
The solution was to clean out all the vents (put a nylon stocking over the vacuum cleaner's pipe and vacuum all holes on the computer from the outside), or if you want to take your PC apart, open it and clean the insides. There is a huge amount of dust that can pile up around the processor a
... See more
I had a mysterious shut-down problem with my previous Toshiba laptop. The problem was overheating. It would shut down after being on for several hours, especially during processor-intensive operations.
The solution was to clean out all the vents (put a nylon stocking over the vacuum cleaner's pipe and vacuum all holes on the computer from the outside), or if you want to take your PC apart, open it and clean the insides. There is a huge amount of dust that can pile up around the processor and the fan grid.
This helped, also propping up my laptop so it wold not sit on my desk, but the air could freely move under it. The shutdown problem went away.

Something to consider?
Collapse

Maria Schuermans
Maria Schuermans
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it gets hot Nov 14, 2008

thank you for your reaction Katalin. My laptop does indeed get very hot sometimes, it's something that's common for laptops apparently. I cannot work in the sun and I always make sure that the air can move freely. But that's a separate problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 FL - PC keeps shutting down

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »