Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:08
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 7, 2008

Dear collegues,
I would like to know how I can use glossaries (in excel format) . I don't know how to use Multiterm and it seems quite difficult.

Perhaps, is there a chance to use glossaries (I've to finish a job and deadline is approaching) in workbench, for instance transforming them as a TM (I might serach them as concordance) ?

Or, is there a simple way to start using Multiterm 7 ?

Thanks
Lucia

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Learn to import them and just open the MT database while you translate Nov 7, 2008

Of course, you could import them into a (shadow) TM, but why should you? AFAIK, Excel files can be imported into MT quite easily. No need for detailed MT knowledge, just indicate the MT database you would like to use in Workbench.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Instructions for creating a termbase from Excel sheet Nov 7, 2008

are easy and available here.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Caveat Nov 7, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Of course, you could import them into a (shadow) TM, but why should you? AFAIK, Excel files can be imported into MT quite easily.

Yep.
Although it's not very intuitive.

No need for detailed MT knowledge, just indicate the MT database you would like to use in Workbench.

The MT databases import may be tricky.
The Multiterm import/export filters are a megacrap, so you should pay attention...

E.g., if you create an empty termbase using a predefined template (it's a good idea for a beginner), you should name properly the columns in the first line of the xls sheet you import.
I.e. type English, French, Italian etc. (the names are case sensitive. no typos, otherwise the import will fail...)

The MT Convert imports only the first sheet in the xls file.
f you have multisheet glossaries, split 'em accordingly.

If the import is successfull, don't import the same file twice, you'll have duplicate entries, the duplicates cleaning in MT is a pain in the neck (no automated removal...).

RTFM and/or use the help.
Generally, if you follow the wizards and select correct options, it works.
Make some tests before you start the real import.

Attention, if you have very large glossaries, hell may freeze.
Start with the smallest ones and see how it works.

Cheers
GG

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
36 000 terms Nov 7, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Cheers
GG

I have a Multiterm database with 36 000 terms. It took its time but it worked like a charm. I admit I read a lot before embarking in that adventure. I searched all over the Internet and found some very specific and easy instructions written by very knowledgeable people, Jerzy included.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just a simple import definition while importing... Nov 7, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
If the import is successfull, don't import the same file twice, you'll have duplicate entries, the duplicates cleaning in MT is a pain in the neck (no automated removal...).

and no duplicates are there.
For removing duplicate entries, I would export the database and import it into a new one, but then using an import definition to avoid duplicates.
I admit, that filters in MT are not very intuitive, but if you get once there how they work, it is then not sooo complicated to use 'em.

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still some problems Nov 7, 2008

I'm trying to use MULTITERM CONVERT, but at the second screen, when I have to click on the source format (in this case excel) it doesn't proceed, saying AN ENTRY WITH THE SAME KEY ALREADY EXISTS and I cannot go to next.
I don' really know what to do

Lucia

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Here's some medication for TRADOS customers with the MultiTerm Convert heartburn Nov 7, 2008

I'm trying to use MULTITERM CONVERT, but at the second screen, when I have to click on the source format (in this case excel) it doesn't proceed, saying AN ENTRY WITH THE SAME KEY ALREADY EXISTS and I cannot go to next.

I made a movie, about 7 minutes long, some time ago for MultiTerm Convert users - starting from the Excel spreasheet and going all the way to the multiTerm data base -. It's again online on my profile or at http://www.textnart.de/downloads/MultiTerm_Convert.zip

Download the file, unzip it (in an empty subdirectory, so that you do not mix it with other stuff) and then start MutiTerm convert.html.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-11-07 20:53]

French to Polish
+ ...
Large imports... Nov 7, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I have a Multiterm database with 36 000 terms. It took its time but it worked like a charm.

A MT5 termbase with almost 1 000 000 entries (software strings).
After 4 days, I gave up.
DVX imported the same termbase in ONE night.
It's rather embarassing 'cause the MT guys are unable to handle their own format in a decent way...

I admit I read a lot before embarking in that adventure. I searched all over the Internet and found some very specific and easy instructions written by very knowledgeable people, Jerzy included.

Without this kind of instructions MT would be an enigma for most of us
Every year, I make a little test to my students.
They prepare an import file in MT Convert, I tell 'em to open MT, then select Termbase, Import entries and try to go on.
All of them click OK.
You see the results
As a lot of things in MT, the design of this window is simply stupid.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
More stupid errors in Multiterm... Nov 7, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

and no duplicates are there.

You're wrong.

E.g. select the "Sample" termbase provided with MT.
Export it.
Reimport using the "Default import definition"
All the entries are duplicated.
Just see the results.

It's a stupid error in the routine.
The program should check the entries exist and generate a warning.

For removing duplicate entries, I would export the database and import it into a new one, but then using an import definition to avoid duplicates.

It's not very intuitive for a beginner...

I admit, that filters in MT are not very intuitive, but if you get once there how they work, it is then not sooo complicated to use 'em.

The problem is not they're intuitive or not.
Some of these filters simply don't work correctly.
The tab delimited export filter is a flagrant proof of the stupidity of the MT programmers.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Corrupt MT? Nov 7, 2008

Lucia Messuti wrote:

I don' really know what to do

Probably your MT installation is messed up.
It happens often with MT, the installation routines are not enough tested, the setup frequently fails when the environment is not enough "clean".

Try to reregister the components.
Close all the SDL programs.
Go to Program Files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007 and run the file
#_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat

If it doesn't help, you have a serious problem.
A partial or total reinstallation of some software components may be necessary.

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
But why do you use default import definition? Nov 8, 2008

No wonder duplicates are there. The default defintion is exactly what it tells - default.
Writing your own - very simple - you can avoid duplicate entries.

French to Polish
+ ...
If it's so simple... Nov 8, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

No wonder duplicates are there. The default defintion is exactly what it tells - default.

The default definition shouln't be so stupid...

Writing your own - very simple - you can avoid duplicate entries.

Say it to a beginner.
If it's really so simple, why the MT guys can't implement it as a option for the default definition?

And when you have multiple termbases with very different structure, you should create this kind of definition separately for every termbase.

I expect rather an universal working solution.

PS.
A quotation from a SDL support response for a MT export case I submitted

In the examples you highlight there are line seperators in the text in Multiterm, so some of the text will move to another row. This would have to be manually cleaned up.

The most funny is I submitted their own "Sample" database
I.e. even they don't know exactly how it works.

So, if we must find this kind of manual workarounds for flagrant old date MT bugs in the default defintions, I presume I'll be dead long time before they fix 'em.

Cheers
GG

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it Nov 10, 2008

I uninstalled and reinstalled Multiterm and now it works, I mean I could transform an excel glossary into a multiterm glossary.
Now I'll have to learn how to use it while doing a translation, as I opened the "Term Recognition Options" in the workbench, but I could do anything. Probably, I've to upload it somewhere else, I'll have to study the manual and see how to manage.

But...it takes time and time, and we, translators, are often short of time, unless you absolutely need it.

Have a nice day/end of day to all collegues

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New with Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs