Multiterm: Fatal error line 2, column 13048): Invalid character (Unicode: 0x1)
Thread poster: Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:29
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 8, 2008

Hi everyone!

I'm quite new with trados and multiterm and I was doing this test translation for a translation agency and they sent me a dictionary, which I have to use. It's in excel format. So I converted it using Multiterm Convert, no problems whatsoever. The termbase has some 2700 entries. But when I was importing the entries (after loading the definition file) it only loaded 35 of those (in Multiterm it shows 17, so maybe it counts source and target separatly??) and in the log fi
... See more
Hi everyone!

I'm quite new with trados and multiterm and I was doing this test translation for a translation agency and they sent me a dictionary, which I have to use. It's in excel format. So I converted it using Multiterm Convert, no problems whatsoever. The termbase has some 2700 entries. But when I was importing the entries (after loading the definition file) it only loaded 35 of those (in Multiterm it shows 17, so maybe it counts source and target separatly??) and in the log file I have:

Fatal Error at (file C:\Kopia slownik.xml, line 2, column 13048): Invalid character (Unicode: 0x1)

Fatal Error at (file C:\Kopia slownik.xml, line 2, column 13193): Invalid character (Unicode: 0x1)

Now It sounds odd, since the dictionary has 3 columns..And I don't know what to do, could someone please help me?

I tried saving the file as txt univode and then loading it as xls again, but no effect.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Messed MT Convert output file... Nov 8, 2008

sapient wrote:

I'm quite new with trados and multiterm and I was doing this test translation for a translation agency and they sent me a dictionary, which I have to use. It's in excel format. So I converted it using Multiterm Convert, no problems whatsoever.

Not sure.
The MT import/export filters are a crap.
Probably the output file is messed up and contains invalid characters.

The termbase has some 2700 entries. But when I was importing the entries (after loading the definition file) it only loaded 35 of those (in Multiterm it shows 17, so maybe it counts source and target separatly??) and in the log file I have:

Fatal Error at (file C:\Kopia slownik.xml, line 2, column 13048): Invalid character (Unicode: 0x1)

Fatal Error at (file C:\Kopia slownik.xml, line 2, column 13193): Invalid character (Unicode: 0x1)

Now It sounds odd, since the dictionary has 3 columns.

It's an info for a programmer
It means "the problem occurs in the line 2, char 13048".
In fact, the line lenght is abnormal 'cause MT doen't insert line breaks in the XML file.
The second part of the message is more friendly, i.e. you have some invalid characters in the XML file.

If you have few errors, open your file in a good text editor (e.g. Notepad++), search for the chars above and delete or fix 'em.

And I don't know what to do, could someone please help me?

Try to use an XML validator.

I tried saving the file as txt univode and then loading it as xls again, but no effect.

Try to import using the tab separated filter instead of the xls one.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-08 14:24]

Michal Glowacki
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure.. Nov 8, 2008

"If you have few errors, open your file in a good text editor (e.g. Notepad++), search for the chars above and delete or fix 'em."

How do I know which chars are these?

"Try to import using the tab separated filter instead of the xls one."

And I'm not yet sure how to do that, as well.

Maybe some more detailed info, please?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
More details... Nov 8, 2008

sapient wrote:

"If you have few errors, open your file in a good text editor (e.g. Notepad++), search for the chars above and delete or fix 'em."

How do I know which chars are these?

As you wrote:

Notepad++ displays the line/column number on the bottom of the window.

"Try to import using the tab separated filter instead of the xls one."

And I'm not yet sure how to do that, as well.

I suppose you have some SDLT 2007 version.
In MT Convert, select "Spreadsheet or database exchange format".

You can try to save the xls file as csv and import the csv file in a SDLX termbase, then import it using MT Convert.
The SDLX filters were always more solid, AFAIK.
Unlike the MT shitmakers, the SDLX programmers were forced to assure some compatibility with the standards.

Try to be more specific too.
I don't see you file and I can't guess the function the 0x1 char (SOH) may have there...

PS.
You use Office 2007?
Just guessing...
Some files processed in Office 2007 are not fully compatible with the legacy format.
As the MT guys don't test extensively their filters, it may be some quirk here...

Cheers
GG

Michal Glowacki
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found an error, new ones emerged Nov 8, 2008

Ok, thanks I have managed to locate 1st problem (white spaces, which after deleting moved the problem to another place, where there aren't any, so I have to find it out again).

I suppose you have some SDLT 2007 version.

2006 (7.5) actually.

In MT Convert, select "Spreadsheet or database exchange format".

Right, I'll try it!

You can try to save the xls file as csv and import the csv file in a SDLX termbase, then import it using MT Convert.
The SDLX filters were always more solid, AFAIK.
Unlike the MT shitmakers, the SDLX programmers were forced to assure some compatibility with the standards.

Ok, I'll try that as well.

I don't see you file and I can't guess the function the 0x1 char (SOH) may have there...

Right, I'm not sure of that either Altough googling around is making it more and more clear.

You use Office 2007?

Not anymore, had the trial but haven't switched to the full yet. At present - 2003 Pro.

Thank you for the help!
Cheers!
MG aka Sapient
ps I tried a validator at validome, but some parsing error jumped at me and tried to bite me, so I ran

[Edited at 2008-11-08 15:58]

[Edited at 2008-11-08 15:59]

[Edited at 2008-11-08 16:27]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Global replace... Nov 9, 2008

sapient wrote:

Ok, thanks
I have managed to locate 1st problem (white spaces, which after deleting moved the problem to another place, where there aren't any, so I have to find it out again).

Start from the end of the file

In fact, if the error message makes sense, it's not a space, it only looks as a space.
The space is 0x20 (decimal representation of the hexadecimal AB), i.e. U00AB (Unicode).
I suppose you can replace 0x1 by "true" spaces.
Probably, if u use a hex editor, you''ll be able to replace it globally.
I rarely work in hex, so I use only UltraEdit I puchased many years ago but if you google a little bit, you should find some hex enabled editors free of charge.

[...]

Right, I'm not sure of that either
Altough googling around is making it more and more clear.

Yep

You use Office 2007?

Not anymore, had the trial but haven't switched to the full yet. At present - 2003 Pro.

I fully undestand

I tried a validator at validome, but some parsing error jumped at me and tried to bite me, so I ran

Just search another one
Of course, it may work or not...
The level of mess in some Multiterm xml files may be too high for some of them.
Sometimes the programmers don't implement some basic checks because they don't even imagine an XML tool can generate so shitty files

PS.
Can you send me first 40 lines of your xls file (corresponding to some term after the "13193 column") for my private MT bugs collection?
I'll test it with MT 2007...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-09 12:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm: Fatal error line 2, column 13048): Invalid character (Unicode: 0x1)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »