Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:22
English to French
Nov 11, 2008

Greetings, fellow ProZians.

I'm using the Word Spelling Checker 2.0 plug-in of SDL Trados 2007 (build 835) in Tageditor, with Word 2007 installed (on Vista), and I have the following problem.

The spelling checker plug-in sees only part of some words and (therefore) reports them as spelling errors.

Example: The segment contains the word "façon". The plug-in sees a word "faço", and say it is not in its dictionary (true!) and suggests "façon" instead which
... See more
Greetings, fellow ProZians.

I'm using the Word Spelling Checker 2.0 plug-in of SDL Trados 2007 (build 835) in Tageditor, with Word 2007 installed (on Vista), and I have the following problem.

The spelling checker plug-in sees only part of some words and (therefore) reports them as spelling errors.

Example: The segment contains the word "façon". The plug-in sees a word "faço", and say it is not in its dictionary (true!) and suggests "façon" instead which of course is what is already written.

By the way, Tageditor is configured to spell-check segments automatically when closing them.

I had a look in the archive, but didn't find anything.

Any idea?

[Edited at 2008-11-11 12:53]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Tag? Nov 11, 2008

Jacques DP wrote:

Example: The segment contains the word "façon". The plug-in sees a word "faço", and say it is not in its dictionary (true!) and suggests "façon" instead which of course is what is already written.

You have a tag after "faço"?

If yes, it's not a bug, it's a feature

Cheers
GG

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Mmm Nov 11, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I don't have a tag inside the word, if that is what you mean.
I have "façon", one blank space, and then a tag.
Does it still count as a feature?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Tag? Nov 11, 2008

Jacques DP wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I don't have a tag inside the word, if that is what you mean.

Yes, exactly.

I have "façon", one blank space, and then a tag.
Does it still count as a feature?

Ehm... in the corporate meaning...

I think it may be a bug when a tag is found after the word.
I.e. the standard selection (kinda Ctrl+right arrow) include a space after the word, probably when a tag is found, the space is stripped incorrectly when the word is passed to the spellchecker.

The other words are followed by a tag?

Cheers
GG

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Can't reproduce the bug based on tag placement Nov 11, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
The other words are followed by a tag?

I have tried to reproduce the problem by using the same sequence, i.e. "façon" + blank space + tag, but the problem didn't appear.

I am not sure about the other times the problem appeared. So far I treated it as a nuisance rather than as an object of study...

Thanks Grzegorz by the way.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Another example Nov 11, 2008

It happened again.
The target segment ends with "etc.", and the plug-in sees it as "etc" and recommends "etc." -- no tag at all in the segment.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Summary of my findings so far regarding this bug Nov 11, 2008

I recorded all occurrences of this bug in a project I just completed. There were 5 occurrences. One was the "etc." occurrence just mentionned; the other 4 were exactly like the one documented originally (with "façon"), namely a word followed by a blank space followed by a tag.

So, maybe it's two different bugs, or maybe it's one bug and the pattern is not yet very clear to us. In any case SDL Trados support now has some data to work with.

And of course, if other people
... See more
I recorded all occurrences of this bug in a project I just completed. There were 5 occurrences. One was the "etc." occurrence just mentionned; the other 4 were exactly like the one documented originally (with "façon"), namely a word followed by a blank space followed by a tag.

So, maybe it's two different bugs, or maybe it's one bug and the pattern is not yet very clear to us. In any case SDL Trados support now has some data to work with.

And of course, if other people can add to this report with their own findings, they are welcome.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 16:38]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Two bugs... Nov 11, 2008

Jacques DP wrote:

So, maybe it's two different bugs, or maybe it's one bug and the pattern is not yet very clear to us.

IMHO, two bugs with a similar pattern.
The first one is an incorrect tag stripping, the second is a separator (ponctuation mark) stripping.
The second may be related to the spellchecker (sometimes I see this kind of comportment in other tools using an external spellchecker), the first one is a 100% Trados bug.

Trados support now has some data to work with.

I'm rather pessimist.
Some flagrant Multiterm bugs I'm aware have a long history of upgrades :|

And of course, if other people can add to this report with their own findings, they are welcome.

Bien noté

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The same problem... but don't care Nov 12, 2008

Hi Jacques,
I have the same problem, but it only occurs kind in one out of twenty files. As the occurence is not high, I just ignore it. Yet, another Trados bug...

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Problem very common in my case Nov 12, 2008

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your input.
In the project I am doing now, I often have the problem mentionned with "etc." above, on words with an elision (and therefore an apostrophe), like:

jusqu'
qu'

In such cases the plug-in will report "jusqu" as a spelling mistake and offer "jusqu'" (with final apostrophe), which is what is already written.

The frequency may be low for some languages, but it is high for French.

PS: A sim
... See more
Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your input.
In the project I am doing now, I often have the problem mentionned with "etc." above, on words with an elision (and therefore an apostrophe), like:

jusqu'
qu'

In such cases the plug-in will report "jusqu" as a spelling mistake and offer "jusqu'" (with final apostrophe), which is what is already written.

The frequency may be low for some languages, but it is high for French.

PS: A simple work-around may be to add "qu" and "jusqu" to the dictionary. I will try.

[Edited at 2008-11-12 13:11]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Adding to dictionary Nov 12, 2008

Hi Jacques,
now I can see exactly what you mean (I'm glad to have paid good attention in the French classes at school ).
Anyway, I don't think adding these words into TE dictionary will help in the long term: in my experience, it will only help for your current document or, more precisely, for your current TagEditor session.
When I add new words, these remain stored in the spelling checker dictionary only until I
... See more
Hi Jacques,
now I can see exactly what you mean (I'm glad to have paid good attention in the French classes at school ).
Anyway, I don't think adding these words into TE dictionary will help in the long term: in my experience, it will only help for your current document or, more precisely, for your current TagEditor session.
When I add new words, these remain stored in the spelling checker dictionary only until I close TagEditor. Once I close it, all new entries are gone...
Collapse

Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same problem, and a related one as well Nov 25, 2009

Hi,

I have this problem too, annoyingly often I might add.
Occasionally i get the same kind of behaviour in concordance search...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spelling checker plug-in in Tageditor sees only part of some words

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »