Christopher Kennedy
Christopher Kennedy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:31
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2008

Having just installed multiterm, I spent a long time trying to resolve a problem when trying to add entries. I kept getting two error messages, "nul" and then a message about Java pointer.

It turns out that this is a common problem with an easy solution. For the benefit of other users
... See more
Having just installed multiterm, I spent a long time trying to resolve a problem when trying to add entries. I kept getting two error messages, "nul" and then a message about Java pointer.

It turns out that this is a common problem with an easy solution. For the benefit of other users the solution is given here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/46401

Chris K

[Edited at 2008-11-12 17:58]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
More info needed Nov 13, 2008

Hi,
please provide us with more information:
- Trados and MultiTerm versions
- when do those errors occur: working directly in MultiTerm, working from Word, working from TagEditor?
- exact name of your termbase

Christopher Kennedy
Christopher Kennedy  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm 2007 Nov 13, 2008

For me the problem occured right from the time of installing multiterm 2007

I have only recently installed Trados 2007 Freelance.

During the installation, Trados prompts the user to update to the latest version of Java, which seems to be the cause of the problem.

After that I installed Multiterm 2007 and, whenever I was using the MultiTerm window, I received these error messages if I tried to do an Add Term operation. Hence I was unable to add any terms to
... See more

During the installation, Trados prompts the user to update to the latest version of Java, which seems to be the cause of the problem.

After that I installed Multiterm 2007 and, whenever I was using the MultiTerm window, I received these error messages if I tried to do an Add Term operation. Hence I was unable to add any terms to a Termbase.

Hope this clarifies things.
Chris K
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Still more info Nov 13, 2008

cjkennedy wrote:
Hope this clarifies things.
Chris K

Hi Chris,
I'm still a bit confused, so to make sure: you launch MultiTerm and the application fails to add new terms.
Have you updated Java Runtime Environment to the latest version? What is your version of .NET?

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 20:31
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Same problem...uninstalled Java update Nov 13, 2008

I had this same problem after updating Java...I uninstalled the latest update (using Control Panel)...problem solved.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Java and the MT crap... Nov 13, 2008

cjkennedy wrote:

During the installation, Trados prompts the user to update to the latest version of Java,

It's not Trados, it's Java itself.

which seems to be the cause of the problem.
quote]

Never, never upgrade Java before you run at least one time all the Multiterm modules.

The MT programmers are proven idiots*), so their software expects only the Java builds they provide, otherwise you'll have problems by design.

Uninstall all the Java newer than the expected builds (1.5.0.10 for all the SDL Trados 2007 versions and 1.5.0.12 for Multiterm 2007 SP1).
Restart and try to run MT.
If it's OK (i.e. the MT modules are registered properly at the first run), you can reinstall newer Java distros if necessary.

It may work or not.
It may be necessary to uninstall and reinstall MT.

*)
If Rodolfo Raya, the only one Swordfish developer can easily make it run on any Java build newer than plain vanilla 1.5, the MT programmers team must have some IQ problems, I'm afraid...

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Java pointer problem for add entry in multiterm

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »