Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:59
Member (2008)
English to Czech
Nov 12, 2008

Hello,
I have noticed a spooky problem with my TagEditor / TW.
When I opened an RTF file in TagEditor and launched TW (both provided to me for proofreading, not my creation), I got this error message:

"The open translation memory has different languages than the document.
Interaction with TW will be disabled until a matching translation memory is opened."

Now, I have tried various combinations of both source file and TW language pair, but so far to no success.

Please can someone advise on how do I find out / ensure both the text and TW languages are in match? Thank you!

NB This error indeed disabled TW for TagEditor for editing (I'm able to see the suggestions though). But strangely (and luckily) Set function etc. works without any problems when opening the file in question ithin Word 2003/2007.

Direct link Reply with quote

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Check the languages Nov 13, 2008

of your TM first.

Then open ttx file with notepad and check this part:

SourceLanguage="XX-XX" TargetLanguage="XX-XX"

Make sure the XX-XX part contains the language pair of your TM. If in double what codes to use, open a ttx file which you can edit with the current TM.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Languages Nov 13, 2008

Hi Tomas,
make sure your TM has the same language combination as the TTX file. If it doesn't and you need this particular TM to complete your proofreading job, you can change the languages of the TTX easily:

Say your TM is EN-US => CS and your TTX file is EN-GB => CS.

1) Open the TTX in Notepad
2) Search for the following tag: SourceLanguage="EN-GB" and change it to "EN-US".
3) Press CTRL+H to open the "Search and Replace" dialog
4) Search for Tuv Lang="EN-GB" and replace it with Tuv Lang="EN-US"

The TE-TW interaction should be working now.

Once you have finished your proofreading job, proceed vice-versa to restore the original language pair.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't forget to make a backup copy of the original TTX!!!

[Upraveno: 2008-11-13 12:47]

[Upraveno: 2008-11-13 12:48]

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Small trick Nov 13, 2008

Tomas Mosler wrote:

When I opened an RTF file in TagEditor and launched TW (both provided to me for proofreading, not my creation), I got this error message:

Don't open RTF files directly in TE.
Small workaround that will work for S-Tagger-type RTFs:
- make sure you have selected "TRADOStag XML workflow for Workbench RTF files" checkbox (Translation Memory Options > Tools)
- translated your RTF file: don't segment unknown sentences, don't update changed translations, don't translate terms
This will produce TTX file out of your RTF file.

kangjian  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:59
English to Chinese
it should be the RTF problem Nov 13, 2008

I guess it should be the RTF problem.

you could have a test: create a new source RTF file in english operating system, and copy the content. and then use TM and TagEditor to open it. if no error report, that should be the RTF problem. since RTF support unicode.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Maybe the order of tasks is the problem... Nov 13, 2008

Tomas Mosler wrote:

Hello,
When I opened an RTF file in TagEditor and launched TW (both provided to me for proofreading, not my creation)...

Hi Tomas,
I probably know what the problem exactly is: you seem to have opened the RTF in TagEditor first and launched Workbench only then. In such case, TagEditor doesn't know which languages it should be using. Therefore, launch Workbench first and then open your RTF file in TagEditor.

This should do the trick. Please let me know.

[Upraveno: 2008-11-13 17:24]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
well Nov 14, 2008

I'm afraid using WB first, TE second launching order doesn't help.

Please note that I have no ttx file, as this is rtf.
When I looked into it with Notepad, I found no sourcelanguage sequence.

I assume that TE is not able to make a "full link" if not used within Word.

Which is kind of bad & sad because I would love to have this for proofreading - in TE, I see the source/target text in a neat line to line form and can "intervene" only when needed, while in Word I have to go through all segments one by one, because the layout of source/target text is not so elegant for a general view and more distracts the attention than helps.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Getting confused... Nov 14, 2008

Hi Tom,
I'm getting a bit puzzled by your posts. Initially, you wrote:

When I opened an RTF file in TagEditor and launched TW

Now you write:

Please note that I have no ttx file, as this is rtf.

Will you please tell us what you have and what you want to do with it?
Please correct me if I'm wrong:
- you have a bilingual RTF
- you want to proof it in TagEditor

In this case, your RTF wouldn't even open in TE, as it cannot open bilingual files. However, it seems that you DID open your RTF, getting the error message you mentioned. Which confuses me even more.

Please advise...

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Editing Nov 14, 2008

Which is kind of bad & sad because I would love to have this for proofreading - in TE, I see the source/target text in a neat line to line form and can "intervene" only when needed, while in Word I have to go through all segments one by one, because the layout of source/target text is not so elegant for a general view and more distracts the attention than helps.

Perhaps two more remarks:
You can do the same in Word: simply have Word display hidden characters.

Anyway, I do not recommend that you edit the translation outside of open segments. If there are repetitions, you are very likely to produce inconsistencies. Please note that translation inconistencies are considered one of the most serious formal mistakes.

So think twice...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor / Workbench language collision

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs