Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 14, 2008

I have a excel-file with normal text in it. The only problem is that every segment starts with
mt:t
and ends with:
/mt:t

Of course they are within brackets, but these would not show here.

I would like to mark them as untranslatable, because most of the segments are 100% or fuzzy matches. In Word I would know the trick, but how about TE?

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:01
English to Czech
+ ...
INI Nov 14, 2008

Hi Heinrich,
you can store these tags in the INI file you are using along with this particular document.

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:01
Spanish to French
+ ...
same issue Nov 14, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Heinrich,
you can store these tags in the INI file you are using along with this particular document.

Hi Stanislav,

I am having the same problem with an XML file that contains HTML style tags (,
, etc.), namely they appear as translatable text. I've tried and add them to the INI file (as normal and internal element for b and empty and internal for br), using the wizard provided by the Tag Settings dialog, but it did not change anything. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Nicolas

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Solutions Nov 15, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I have a excel-file with normal text in it. The only problem is that every segment starts with
mt:t
and ends with:
/mt:t

Of course they are within brackets, but these would not show here.

I would like to mark them as untranslatable, because most of the segments are 100% or fuzzy matches. In Word I would know the trick, but how about TE?

Regards
Heinrich

Seeing that they are so uniformly placed, I guess the best thing would be to strip them from the cells prior to translation and to re-add them afterwards. To strip them, type a formula like
=Right(Left(A1;Length(A1)-6);Length(A1)-13)

in a free cell on the first row (this is assuming the entries you need to translate are in the first column and start on the first row). The code is off-the-top-of-my-head, so maybe someone with Excel can verify this (don't have it here). Note that Excel formula language is localized in the various language versions of Excel, so it will be "Rechts", "Links" and "Länge" in German versions of Excel.

You can then copy and paste or propagate that formula to the rows below to get stripped versions of all your entries. Be sure to copy that column and Paste Special it onto itself once you're satisfied with the result, choosing Paste Values from the dialog. This will make the results "stick" and remove the formulas they were computed from. Otherwise you won't be able to translate the stripped content. Then, hide the first column or simply copy the "stripped column" to an empty Excel file and translate that, copying it back once you're done.

After translation, use a formula like
="<mt:t>"&b1&"</mt:t>"

to re-add the tags. This is assuming that the stripped entries you created previously are in the second column. Again, copy-paste special afterwards.

Regarding HTML codes within XML files: These are in CDATA sections, right? Search this forum for postings with the key word CDATA - there's a plugin (Common Markup or something) in newer versions of TagEditor that may help you. Can't remember the details, but the solution has been posted here before. Heinrich, if you're having trouble with my 1st solution, you may want to look into this, too. Should do the trick, but I've never used that plugin so I don't know if there are any possible downsides...

[Edited at 2008-11-15 00:41 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
XDT Nov 16, 2008

Nicolas Coyer wrote:
I am having the same problem with an XML file that contains HTML style tags (,
, etc.), namely they appear as translatable text. I've tried and add them to the INI file (as normal and internal element for b and empty and internal for br), using the wizard provided by the Tag Settings dialog, but it did not change anything. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,
perhaps your client could provide you with a XSD (XML Schema Document) file that you can import into the standard INI for HTML. You can do this by in the Tools > Translation Memory Options > Tag Settings... > Properties... > Import tab.

Cheers,

Stanislav

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Circumvention Nov 16, 2008

I would have liked to configure the INI-file, but I have no clue where to start. So I copied the excel-column to word and added a tab-character after each leading tag and in front of each closing tag. Now segmentation is no problem. I can remove all tabs after translation and copy the stuff back.
Again a case where working in Word makes things easier than using a stand-alone editor.

Regards
Heinrich

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Opposite opinion... Nov 16, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Again a case where working in Word makes things easier than using a stand-alone editor.

Sorry Heinrich, but that's just one of a few cases. Can give you a hundred more when working in an editor is much better than in Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make tags untranslatable in TE?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs