Mobile menu

What is the best/easiest way of cleaning a TM?
Thread poster: ACLserv

ACLserv
Canada
Local time: 10:20
English
Nov 14, 2008

I have inherited of a large TM (50+Mb, 50,000+ TU, 33 users)

I had a quick look and found there is a lot's of duplicates and also variation in segementation type.
Of course bilingual files were never archived so I don't even have the option to generate a new TM from them.

What would be the best way to cleanup this TM?

Direct link Reply with quote

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Olifant Nov 15, 2008

http://www.translate.com/Language_Tech_Center/Tools.aspx

Olifant

Olifant is a .NET application that allows users to open translation memory files and perform various maintenance tasks on them.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:20
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It's an uphill battle Nov 15, 2008

Fabrice wrote: ... What would be the best way to cleanup this TM?

Alternative I:
o export TM and keep the source - suggest PowerToyz (see my profile) for it
o translate the source (segment after segment after segment ...) keeping what's best
o use the translated source to build a new TM (suggest no multiples, you can always create another TM later that has with multiple translations allowed)

Alternative II:
use two TMs to do future texts: the clean (new) and the dirty (i.e.) the old one. The old TM will give you suggestions. The new Mrs TM clean will then include what you decided to keep. This is gradual and less sweat-intensive. However being exposed to tons of screwy suggestions for days on end can be nerve-racking.

One more thing: in any case it makes very much sense to spell-check the TM as is. If it's 33 contributors (wow!... Duh!...), a lot of it must be pure BS - with spelling errors to top.

PS: TWB is a .NET application that allows users to open translation memory files and perform various maintenance tasks on them. But I guess you know that anyhow;) - so I went beyond using TWB's Maintainance.

[Edited at 2008-11-15 12:48 GMT]

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
I tried Nov 15, 2008

using +Toyz but when double-clicking on a macro nothing happens (tested with Word XP and 2003 with security settings set to low).

I also tried running macros directly (Alt+F8), still nothing happens.

[Edited at 2008-11-15 13:51 GMT]

FarkasAndras
Local time: 18:20
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Nov 15, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
Alternative II:
use two TMs to do future texts: the clean (new) and the dirty (i.e.) the old one. The old TM will give you suggestions. The new Mrs TM clean will then include what you decided to keep.

Sounds like a great idea to me, although you would end up using that reference TM for a VERY long time before you can confidently decide to trash it.

Vito Smolej wrote:
If it's 33 contributors (wow!... Duh!...), a lot of it must be pure BS - with spelling errors to top.

I like your thinking here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best/easiest way of cleaning a TM?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs