sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:54
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 16, 2008

Dear All

I am trying to creating a termbase out of an Excel glossary file supplied by the customer, which has two columns, the German and the Italian one.

I created one file with the German only column and the second one with the Italian column.

Next I tried to align them, which I thought should be an easy operation. Yet I find some three segments more in the German version if compared to the Italian on. Being the file some 4000 cell long, how do I spot the missing/exceeding segment without reading them all? Is that possibile?

Thanks a lot for your help from a sunny Milan, Italy.

sabina

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
A suggestion Nov 16, 2008

I think there is a way to make a termbase directly from an Excell sheet.

Anyway, if I understand correctly, you want to find an empty cell in a column.
Just do this: Go to the top of the column in question and press Ctrl+down arrow.
That takes you to the first empty cell.

Jørgen

Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Nov 16, 2008

there is no empty cell. It has somehow split the source cells, since I have more of them than in the target column.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Direct solution - two possibilities Nov 16, 2008

1.) Use the "concatenate" function of Excel
2.) Use PlusTools
See details at http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/106792-align_excel_files_and_store_them_in_the_workbench.html#868555
HTH
Attila

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
First find out which workflow you need Nov 16, 2008

You say you want to create a termbase out of an Excel glossary. If this is really what you want, then you can do this with MultiTerm Convert, and you will need the two column file, not two seperate files.
When you are making two separate files and try to align them, then at the end you will not get a termbase (MultiTerm), but a translation memory (Workbench).
So I think first you need to find out if you want to use this Excel file as a glossary/termbase or as a TM.

Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I want to create a TermBase Nov 16, 2008

Since I am not able to, I usually create a TM and then I progressively put the single items in my TermBase.

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Well, at least you have a TermBase, so you have a point to start at. Nov 16, 2008

The rest is not too difficult:
I assume your TermBase is English - Italian, so you will need a header (first line) in your Excel file, saying "English" and "Italian" exactly as it´s written in your TermBase. At this point it might be a good idea to go through the Excel file to find out if the glossary is correct.
Then you open MultiTerm Convert
in step 1+2 you just click on Next
in step 3 click on MS Excel, then Next
in step 4 you select your Excel file (use the Browse button next to Input file) - then click on Next (MutliTerm Convert now reads your Excel file and finds out it has two columns: English and Italian)
STEP 5 (IMPORTANT):
under Available Column Header fields click on English, then click on "Index field", and then select English from the list
the same for Italian, click on Italian, then click on Index field, then select Italian from the list
After this you just click on Next and finally on Finish
You will now have a XML file with the same name as your Excel glossary, this you need to import into your TermBase.

To do this start MultiTerm and open your TermBase
click on Termbase/Import Entries/Process...
next to Import file click on Browse and select the XML file.
Click on "Fast import...", and then just Next and finally Finish.

If you have followed these steps (especially creating the header in your Excel file with exactly the same language names as in TermBase, and following Step 5 in MultiTerm Convert), the entries of your Excel glossary are now part of your TermBase.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Nov 16, 2008

Daniel Meier wrote:

So I think first you need to find out if you want to use this Excel file as a glossary/termbase or as a TM.

Well put.
If you want a TM, go with Attila Piróth's suggestion. The general rule is: never use winalign if you can help it. In this case, you can.

If you want a Multiterm termbase (which is a much better solution if you have/know how to use Multiterm and the table contains words and not sentences), follow Daniel Meier's procedure.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Termbase or TM? Nov 16, 2008

Sorry, my solution is for creating a TM - which makes sense if there are entire sentences. You can use context search, fuzzy, analysis, etc.
If you need a Termbase, use the import function, described by Daniel.
Perhaps it may be worth creating both - it takes only a few clicks.
Attila

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
well, how can you be so sure (g) Nov 17, 2008

Since I am not able to, I usually create a TM ...

Have a look at my movie about MultiTerm Convert - check my profile and/or
http://www.textnart.de/downloads/MultiTerm_Convert.zip

regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aligning a file - How to spot the missing/exceeding segment

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs