https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/120884-problem_activating_my_copy_after_reinstallation.html

Problem activating my copy after reinstallation
Thread poster: Audrey Fermon-Terraza (X)
Audrey Fermon-Terraza (X)
Audrey Fermon-Terraza (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:51
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2008

Hi everyone,
I had to reinstall Trados after formatting my PC several times because of problems with my motherboard, but now I get this message error when I want to activate my copy of SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (build 8.2.0.835): "The activation of the fulfillment is denied by the activation policy because max extra acts exceeded # 8418-5913424 (Error code 50040)"
I guess I have exceeded the number of activations allowed (between this PC and my laptop), and now Trados only runs in de
... See more
Hi everyone,
I had to reinstall Trados after formatting my PC several times because of problems with my motherboard, but now I get this message error when I want to activate my copy of SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (build 8.2.0.835): "The activation of the fulfillment is denied by the activation policy because max extra acts exceeded # 8418-5913424 (Error code 50040)"
I guess I have exceeded the number of activations allowed (between this PC and my laptop), and now Trados only runs in demo mode.
Anyone knows how to bypass this? I sent a message to SDL's support, no answer so far.
Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:51
French to English
+ ...
License should have been returned before reformatting Nov 17, 2008

Hi Audrey,
If you did not return the license before reformatting, you will have to wait for SDL to do it.
You are entitled to activate your code on two computers - say desktop and laptop as long as they are not connected in a LAN.

Other than wait for SDL, you probably can return the license of the laptop and take it back on your desktop computer. However, I think it's safer to work on the laptop for a day or two.
Sandra

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
is it real, or is it Memorex? Nov 17, 2008

You are entitled to activate your code on two computers - say desktop and laptop as long as they are not connected in a LAN.

Whatever I do, there's always just one licence available, either on one my PCs or back in the SDL/TRADOS vault. I dont recall to have seen at any time number 2 - for two licences - on any of the TRADOS pages. So what's this secret of two licences for me.

Clarification welcome.

regards

Vito

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:51
French to English
+ ...
One activation code on two computers Nov 18, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Whatever I do, there's always just one licence available, either on one my PCs or back in the SDL/TRADOS vault. I dont recall to have seen at any time number 2 - for two licences - on any of the TRADOS pages. So what's this secret of two licences for me.

Hi Vito,
Actually, there is no license. You get one activation code. That same activation code can be used to install a copy of Trados on two separate computer (I did and most everybody probably did likewise). This works fine as long as said computers are not connected in a LAN. If you want to make significant hardware changes to one of them or buy a new computer, it is imperative to return the license as instructed in Start/Programs/ SDL etc. After say reformatting the HD, you take back your license, et voilà.
SDL recommends returning the license each time you uninstall Trados, but I find this to be unnecessary.
Sandra

Gabriella Fisichella
Gabriella Fisichella  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
Sandra is right. Nov 18, 2008

Sangro wrote:

Hi Audrey,
If you did not return the license before reformatting, you will have to wait for SDL to do it.

Other than wait for SDL, you probably can return the license of the laptop and take it back on your desktop computer. However, I think it's safer to work on the laptop for a day or two.
Sandra

You had to return the licence/activation code before reformatting. The same happened to me some time ago and I had to write to SDL technical support to get a new activation code.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Clarification... Nov 18, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
Clarification welcome.

regards

Vito

Hi Vito,
don't look at the information provided in your TZ profile. Simply activate your Trados licence on two different computers. You'll see it's working.

Audrey Fermon-Terraza (X)
Audrey Fermon-Terraza (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Returning the license Nov 18, 2008

Hi all,
I just was not aware of this possibility, it never occurred to me that my activation code was not really mine after all!
Well I'll keep working on my laptop until SDL sends me a new code.
Thank you all for your input!
Audrey

SDL Technical Support Feb 4, 2011

Gabriella Fisichella wrote:

Sangro wrote:

Hi Audrey,

Sandra

You had to return the licence/activation code before reformatting. The same happened to me some time ago and I had to write to SDL technical support to get a new activation code.

Hello Gabrielle,
I am currently having the same problem: I reformatted my pc without returning my license/activation code first and now I want to contact SDL technical support but I cannot find their email. Would you mind telling me the proper recipient email you wrote to at that time? I would really appreciate that as I have a project I would like to work on but I cannot use my Trados.
Thanks in advance!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem activating my copy after reinstallation

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »