How to find and delete repetitions in a translation memory?
Thread poster: Sumana U
Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2008

Hi,
I am using SDL Trados 2007 - V8, Windows XP

I have a German to English TM, which was created after doing WinAlign. It has got repetitions (a single source segment contains several identical translations with slight formatting differences). (In MultiTerm, we can list down repetitions and delete.)

Is this possible in Translator's Workbench to list down all such repeated source segments with their translations?

Please, let me know if there is any wa
... See more
Hi,
I am using SDL Trados 2007 - V8, Windows XP

I have a German to English TM, which was created after doing WinAlign. It has got repetitions (a single source segment contains several identical translations with slight formatting differences). (In MultiTerm, we can list down repetitions and delete.)

Is this possible in Translator's Workbench to list down all such repeated source segments with their translations?

Please, let me know if there is any way to handle such repetitions.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:47
English to Thai
+ ...
Find/replace Nov 19, 2008

I remind of only concordance search in Workbench.
You will see many segments with similar formats. You can delete the segments within the program by right-clicking.
I usually use SDL Maintain to manage with this. It is easier and available in SDL Trados 2006 package and later versions.
Regards,
SL

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:47
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Olifant Nov 19, 2008

You can export the TM to TMX and edit it in Olifant.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:47
English to French
+ ...
XBench can help you do that Nov 20, 2008

I recommend you download XBench and use its quality assurance feature for this job, strange as it may sound.

What you need to do is create an XBench project and add the TM to it. Make sure you specify in the project properties that the TM is an ongoing translation (otherwise, you will not be able to run QA on it, which is what you want to do). Then, switch to the QA tab and check the Basic > Inconsistency in target option - uncheck all the rest. Run QA. All the results
... See more
I recommend you download XBench and use its quality assurance feature for this job, strange as it may sound.

What you need to do is create an XBench project and add the TM to it. Make sure you specify in the project properties that the TM is an ongoing translation (otherwise, you will not be able to run QA on it, which is what you want to do). Then, switch to the QA tab and check the Basic > Inconsistency in target option - uncheck all the rest. Run QA. All the results you will get will be source segments that were translated to several different target segments. Then, you just need to open the TM in Notepad (or you can use eMeditor or something faster than Notepad, in case your TM is large) and do search and replace operations to find the segments you want to delete and delete them.

You can download XBench free here: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-11-20 17:19 GMT]
Collapse

Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XBench Nov 20, 2008

Hi,

I thank all.

Olifant is useful to edit a TM (.tmx). But, does it list down identical source with translations containing slight differences?
I downloaded XBench. It is a right tool for listing down repetitions saved to a TM. Special thanks to Viktoria Gimbe for suggesting a right tool and specifying the steps. Thank you

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:47
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Olifant Nov 20, 2008

Olifant is useful to edit a TM (.tmx). But, does it list down identical source with translations containing slight differences?

Yes, it does exactly that, among other things. That is why I suggested it. You can flag duplicate entries and then delete them.

Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Olifant is Easier Nov 25, 2008

Thank you very much Hynek Palatin

I was not aware of the functionality of flag duplicate entries command in Olifant. I found Olifant easier and I could export the filtered contents in .tmx format itself. Great tool

Thank you once again

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:47
English to French
+ ...
(Olifant and XBench) is better than (Olifant or XBench) Nov 26, 2008

I just wanted to say that Olifant is a TM editor, while XBench is a bilingual file (read: TMs, TDBs, segmented Word files, etc.) viewer and QA tool. As such, they have different purposes.

XBench can also export search results and QA results, but not as TMX (it exports both TM text files and tabbed text files, the latter for TDB building).

It is worth learing to use both and using both as appropriate. Sometimes, Olifant will be the right solution, especially when you wan
... See more
I just wanted to say that Olifant is a TM editor, while XBench is a bilingual file (read: TMs, TDBs, segmented Word files, etc.) viewer and QA tool. As such, they have different purposes.

XBench can also export search results and QA results, but not as TMX (it exports both TM text files and tabbed text files, the latter for TDB building).

It is worth learing to use both and using both as appropriate. Sometimes, Olifant will be the right solution, especially when you want to edit a TM, which is specifically what Olifant was designed for. Other times, XBench will be the right tool, especially when you are doing QA or you want to search for strings you know are in the TM but Trados' weak concordance search will not show them, which is what XBench was designed for (I use XBench daily, mainly for this purpose - it has all kinds of search features and will find anything and everything).

For you to leverage both of these very neat and free tools, I suggest you learn to use text fields and attribute fields in Trados. These are the keys that will unlock both applications' hidden abilities, those which are the most useful of all.

All the best!
Collapse

Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 1, 2008

Thank you Victoria Gimbe for giving details about two different tools.

I know text fields and attribute fields in Trados. I need to learn both the tools (Olifant & XBench) to know their functionality.

Thank you
Nice Day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find and delete repetitions in a translation memory?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »