Temporary installation of Trados on 2nd computer
Thread poster: Attila Piróth

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:58
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 19, 2008

I bought Trados 2006 FL, which came with two softkey licenses, and installed it on my PC (using one softkey). I wanted to keep the 2nd license available in case I change my computer.
Then I upgraded to the 2007 version, but have not installed it yet.
Now I would need to install Trados on a laptop, but only temporarily. However, a second license does not seem to be available any longer: "1 of 1 available" is indicated in the "Activation Code" part of the "My Product Activation Codes" section of "My Licences" at the SDL Customer Center website.
I can see that I have the option "return licence file". Am I right to assume that I have to return the license file from my PC, then Trados becomes inoperative there, and I can request another license file that I can use on my laptop? And then I have to go through the same to deactivate it on the laptop and reactivate it on my PC?
If this is the case, how much does it usually take - is issuing the license file practically instantaneous, or may take over 24 hours? A trial version or a one-week license would be perfectly fine now, but neither option is available.
Can someone shed some light on this, please?
Attila

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:58
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Use the same activation code Nov 19, 2008

Hi Attila,

You are entitled to install Trados 2007 on TWO computers using the same activation code (not just temporarily). Just install Trados and when prompted to do so, enter the same activation code. No need to wait for anything.
Both copies of Trados will work fine as long as the two computers are not connected in a LAN.
You have to return the license (which remains on the SLD site) if you intend to reformat one of the above computers, or buy a new instead of one of them, because the "license" is recorded in the computer's registry.
When reinstalling Trados on the new computer, you can "take back" the "returned"license from the SLD site.
Not very complicated.
Enjoy,
Sandra

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:58
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Sandra Nov 25, 2008

Thank you, it worked fine.
Kind regards,
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Temporary installation of Trados on 2nd computer

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs