LINDA BERTOLINO  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:40
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 20, 2008

Dear all,
I URGENTLY NEED YOUR HELP. I WAS TRYING TO SAVE A TRADOS TTX FILE IN WORD BUT AN ERROR APPEARS TO ME WHICH I'VE NEVER FOUND BEFORE: ERROR WHILE WRITING BREAKS.
PLS HELP ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BECAUSE IT'S A QUESTION OF LIFE FOR ME.
I CAN SEND YOU THE ORIGINAL WORD FILE AND THE TTX FILE FOR YOUR CHECKING.
PLS IF YOU CAN WRITE TO MY ADDRESS I'M IMMEDIATELY SENDING YOU THE FILE, MAYBE YOU CAN SAVE IT IN ITALIAN FOR ME.
PLS. HELP ME ASAP
CIAO
LIN
... See more
Dear all,
I URGENTLY NEED YOUR HELP. I WAS TRYING TO SAVE A TRADOS TTX FILE IN WORD BUT AN ERROR APPEARS TO ME WHICH I'VE NEVER FOUND BEFORE: ERROR WHILE WRITING BREAKS.
PLS HELP ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BECAUSE IT'S A QUESTION OF LIFE FOR ME.
I CAN SEND YOU THE ORIGINAL WORD FILE AND THE TTX FILE FOR YOUR CHECKING.
PLS IF YOU CAN WRITE TO MY ADDRESS I'M IMMEDIATELY SENDING YOU THE FILE, MAYBE YOU CAN SAVE IT IN ITALIAN FOR ME.
PLS. HELP ME ASAP
CIAO
LINDA
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Nov 20, 2008

Linda,
Help others to help you by providing the relevant information; in particular, which software versions are you using (Word, Trados)?

Have you checked the relevant article on the SDL Trados Knowledge Base? (Look for article no. 1468.)

Have you run the tag verifier in TagEditor?

Best regards,
Ralf

PS Your response without ALL CAPS will be
... See more
Linda,
Help others to help you by providing the relevant information; in particular, which software versions are you using (Word, Trados)?

Have you checked the relevant article on the SDL Trados Knowledge Base? (Look for article no. 1468.)

Have you run the tag verifier in TagEditor?

Best regards,
Ralf

PS Your response without ALL CAPS will be appreciated.
Collapse

LINDA BERTOLINO
Italy
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry for the all caps Nov 20, 2008

My trados version is 7.0 and my word version is word 2003. I've already run the tag verifier and corrected everything
I do not know what else I can do. Does anybody can try to save my file?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What exactly are you trying to do? Have you tried Cleanup? Nov 20, 2008

"I WAS TRYING TO SAVE A TRADOS TTX FILE IN WORD"

What exactly are you trying to do?
1. Are you working in Tageditor, and trying to use "Save target as..."?
2. Are you working on a TTX file in Word?
3. Something else

If it is the first one, can you do "Save bilingual as..."?
If you can, have you tried simply cleaning up the TTX file from Trados Workbench?
(I assume you know how to do that.)

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:40
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
From Trados support base Nov 20, 2008

Symptoms
You open a Microsoft Word document (.doc) in SDL TagEditor and translate it. When trying to save the translation using Save Target As, you get the error message "Error while writing breaks" and you are not able to create the translated document successfully.
Explanation
The Word document contains one or more section breaks which are not preceded by a paragraph end mark. Section breaks without paragraph end marks are not supported by the Word-TRADOStag (TTX) fil
... See more
Symptoms
You open a Microsoft Word document (.doc) in SDL TagEditor and translate it. When trying to save the translation using Save Target As, you get the error message "Error while writing breaks" and you are not able to create the translated document successfully.
Explanation
The Word document contains one or more section breaks which are not preceded by a paragraph end mark. Section breaks without paragraph end marks are not supported by the Word-TRADOStag (TTX) filter provided by TagEditor.
Resolution

1. Open your document in Word. Make all hidden characters visible so that you can see the section breaks and paragraph marks in the document.
2. Search for section breaks in the document: Select Edit/Replace, click on the More button, place the cursor in the Find what box, and type '^b' (without the quotes).
3. Place the cursor in the Replace with box, click Special and select Find What Text; position the cursor in front of the ^& that gets inserted, and type in ^p so that the Replace with box looks like this: ^p^&
4. Click Replace All, click OK, click Close, then save and close the file.

When the file is now processed in SDL TagEditor or SDL TeamWorks, there will then be no problem saving the target file.

Suerte!
Collapse

LINDA BERTOLINO
Italy
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 20, 2008

I thank you all for the useful advices you gave me. I was finally able to save and open my target translation, after following your instructions.
And now I'm very tired and have to bring my child to school. I went to bed at 3.45 a.m this mornig and had to get up at 7.00!
Thank you for helping me.
Bye
Linda

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 Nov 20, 2008

And you will have far less problems than before.
The "Error while writing breaks" is still there, but most other errors no.
And with SDL Trados 2007 you can process Word 2007, which is a big help, as sometimes files from older versions of Word are damaged and Word 2007 is able to repair them.

LINDA BERTOLINO
Italy
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much Nov 20, 2008

I think I'll have to upgrade to trados 2007. Maybe it can be more helpful to improve my job.
Regards
LINDA

Brigith Guimarães
Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:40
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you!!!! Jan 25, 2013

Dear Clarisa,

You have JUST saved my life! Thank you all, and most especially you, for your instructions about this problem.

I was not being able to convert a 20,000 word file and was getting awfully frustrated after such hard work. And with your help... puf! It converted "Save as " smoothly and with no issues at all.

Gracías y un saludo cordial desde Oporto hasta Argentina!

[Edited a
... See more
Dear Clarisa,

You have JUST saved my life! Thank you all, and most especially you, for your instructions about this problem.

I was not being able to convert a 20,000 word file and was getting awfully frustrated after such hard work. And with your help... puf! It converted "Save as " smoothly and with no issues at all.

Gracías y un saludo cordial desde Oporto hasta Argentina!

[Edited at 2013-01-25 19:47 GMT]
Collapse

Pao_Onora
Pao_Onora  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still having problems... Jan 8, 2014

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Symptoms
Explanation
The Word document contains one or more section breaks which are not preceded by a paragraph end mark. Section breaks without paragraph end marks are not supported by the Word-TRADOStag (TTX) filter provided by TagEditor.
Resolution

1. Open your document in Word. Make all hidden characters visible so that you can see the section breaks and paragraph marks in the document.
2. Search for section breaks in the document: Select Edit/Replace, click on the More button, place the cursor in the Find what box, and type '^b' (without the quotes).
3. Place the cursor in the Replace with box, click Special and select Find What Text; position the cursor in front of the ^& that gets inserted, and type in ^p so that the Replace with box looks like this: ^p^&
4. Click Replace All, click OK, click Close, then save and close the file.

When the file is now processed in SDL TagEditor or SDL TeamWorks, there will then be no problem saving the target file.

Suerte!

I still have the same problem: "Error while writing breaks"... I replaced all breaks as suggested, opened Trados, tried to "Save target as" and still pops up that sign... I'm running out of answers/solutions to solve this. Could you please help me out?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados error while writing breaks

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »