Mobile menu

SDL Trados 2007 performance with Office 2007 better with new SP?
Thread poster: Christiane Gertz

Christiane Gertz
Local time: 18:18
English to German
+ ...
Nov 25, 2008

Hi everyone,
I'm using SDL Trados Freelance with Windows XP and Office 2003. But now I have to get me a new computer which will probably have Windows Vista and Office 2007.

A while ago I heard about the performance problems of Trados with Office 2007 under Vista (too slow etc). Did anything change with the new service pack(update offered now?

Please write your experiences/opinions. It's hard to get a new computer with XP so I hope it will be good news.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
XP still available Nov 25, 2008

Hi Christiane,

It's hard to get a new computer with XP so I hope it will be good news.

No problem buying a new computer with XP - I just bought a Sony Vaio with XP Professional and Office 2003.

IIRC the main cause of the performance problems was Word 2007, not Trados - but I'm not working with Office 2007 at all, so I cannot really comment.

Best regards,

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:18
Member (2004)
English to Russian
I can't complain Nov 25, 2008

I use Trados 2007 Freelance with Office 2007 and MS Vista Home Premium and I can't complain. I think to ensure good performance you have to have enough RAM and a good processor. I have 4 Gb RAM and 3.2 GHz AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor.
As to XP still available with new computer mentioned by Ralph I think it is limited to Sony and Dell laptops only.

Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Me neither Nov 25, 2008

I'm using the same combination as Alexey, and have never encountered any slowness or other problems at all.

(Though - as an aside - having used only Macs before buying my first PC - this one, with Vista pre-installed - I was probably spared most of the terrible disappointments so many XP users seem to suffer from. Also, having been (or, still being) such a Mac fan, I was expecting something much worse... and was surprised to find that Windows is in fact quite acceptable.)

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Where to get Office 2003? Nov 25, 2008

Sorry if I misuse the thread, but it would interest me if Office 2003 would be still available somewhere.
I use Vista Business on a HP laptop and got Win XP on DVD. But the step from XP to Vista was easy, no reason to switch back.

Diana Mecarelli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Office 2007 Windows XP Trados 2007 (863) Dec 1, 2008

It's really annoying that it's not possible to work in Word with the new file-format docx.
Or better: You could try to work with it, but later on you can't clean the files.
The error messages are:

(-2147467259): The target document cannot be created because the tag structure in the TagEditor document is invalid.
File skipped!

(-2147467259): The file could not be opened because it is not in Microsoft Office Word 2007 file format.

Unfortunately I asked befor upgrading if it was possible to translate docx files in Word and use it in the same way as doc-files. They told me, it would be possible. That was the premission to buy the upgrade.

When I asked 3 questions for support, they told me that I had to make a support-contract first...
It where questions related to installation problems and registering in the beginning.

Sorry, but there are still to many problems and bugs that only a few people are able to solve by themselves. I think it should be possible to install and use a program without the necessity to search in different mailing-lists or support-forums to resolve the problems caused by the program itself. Other programs does work fine from the beginning, why isn't SDL Trados able to offer such a programm?

This is reallly bad service!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 performance with Office 2007 better with new SP?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs