Protected tags in Trados - how to get rid of it?
Thread poster: Przemyslaw Podmostko (X)
Przemyslaw Podmostko (X)
Przemyslaw Podmostko (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:27
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 27, 2008

Hi!

I just got a copy of Trados and I'm seeing red!! Does anybody know how to get rid of those annoying tags like for example? When I translate and press Set/Close, the tags, AND THE ORIGINAL, stay there! I'm just livid! Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance
Przemek

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
French to English
Hiding Trados tags Nov 27, 2008

Hi Przemek,

I think I know what you mean and I was just as livid when it happened to me. Do you mean that you just want to hide the tags? Sometimes when I try to translate in a chart or something that has formatting, the original will appear as well as the tags. If this is what is happening to you and you are using Word 2003, go to Tools>Options and in the "View" tab you should see the section "Formatting marks". Uncheck the box next to "hidden text" and click OK. That should fi
... See more
Hi Przemek,

I think I know what you mean and I was just as livid when it happened to me. Do you mean that you just want to hide the tags? Sometimes when I try to translate in a chart or something that has formatting, the original will appear as well as the tags. If this is what is happening to you and you are using Word 2003, go to Tools>Options and in the "View" tab you should see the section "Formatting marks". Uncheck the box next to "hidden text" and click OK. That should fix your problem.

Good luck!
Jenae
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Indeed Nov 27, 2008

Failing that, try CTRL+SHIFT+8

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:27
Japanese to English
Don't get livid, read the documentation Nov 27, 2008

You really need to read one of the "Getting Started" type documents available from SDL.

As you translate, you can hide or show the tags as explained. When you've finished the translation and want to get rid of all the tags, you close the file, then in Workbench select Tools > Clean Up, and follow the procedure in the window that opens.

Przemyslaw Podmostko (X)
Przemyslaw Podmostko (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:27
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for suggestions! Nov 27, 2008

Yes, actually I've been through the 'New to Trados' tutorial. But I must say that getting to grip with that program is not easy and I must say that if you are not proficient with it it is rather goint to slow you down that speed the translation process up.

The reason I wanted to get into Trados is that it's undisputably the widely used and most demanded by translation agencies across the world CAT tool.

However I've heard good things about SDLX, that it's lighter, the G
... See more
Yes, actually I've been through the 'New to Trados' tutorial. But I must say that getting to grip with that program is not easy and I must say that if you are not proficient with it it is rather goint to slow you down that speed the translation process up.

The reason I wanted to get into Trados is that it's undisputably the widely used and most demanded by translation agencies across the world CAT tool.

However I've heard good things about SDLX, that it's lighter, the GUI is clearer, and working with it is uncomparably easier. And it accepts all the Trados file.

I don't think it makes any sense getting into Wordfast or Deja Vu if, as I said, the tool that agencies seek the most is Trados.
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:27
Japanese to English
Deja Vu worth a look Nov 27, 2008

As a long-term Trados user, I'm looking for an opportunity to jump ship to Deja Vu...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protected tags in Trados - how to get rid of it?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »