Thread poster: Ileana Achino

Ileana Achino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:09
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 27, 2008

I am a new member at Proz. I am just about to purchase the latest TRADOS but I am being asked to chose between two different options SDLX and Translators Workbench.
I have had a look on Trados site but I cannot find an answer on the real difference between these two options.
Can anyone help me opting for the best solution?
thank you
Ileana Achino
Proz Member
aviasnc@tin.it

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Do you mean the certification perhaps? Nov 27, 2008

Hi Ileana,

err... you can't really choose between the two, as the package contains both programs. I presume you refer to the relative certification (some offers come with certification and you can choose between the SDLX or Translators Workbench certif).

If this is the case, it is a personal choice: I'd say, what you use more often.

Giuliana

Rod Brookes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
have a look at this thread Nov 27, 2008

I notice now that this question comes up quite a lot, usually just after a group buy has finished! I actually posted it myself and got some very helpful answers, so you may want to have a look at this thread here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108058-sdlx_vs_translators_workbench.html

Ileana Achino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 27, 2008

yes, I was talking about the certifications for the exam or training you have to chose from.
I am not at all familiar with Trados so the choice is really "blind".
Thank you all for your comments

Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Workbench for a more "general" approach Nov 27, 2008

If you are absolutely new to Trados, and if you expect to work with "normal" Trados documents (that is, Trados integrated into MS Word) or with TagEditor, then you will be better off choosing the Workbench certification, as you need Workbench for both. SDLX is a separate program with a totally different approach, and there seems to be less demand for it out there (or at least that is my impression).

Kind regards,

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL X or Translators Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs