Mobile menu

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance: Winword.exe application errors after installing MultiTerm
Thread poster: Translation-Pro

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:37
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 28, 2008

Hi,

After installing MultiTerm, I received Winword.exe error messages like: "WINWORD.EXE - Application Error. The instruction at (memory address) referenced memory at (memory address). The memory cannot be read." This happened when I tried to close a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet.
I have XP SP2, Office Prof. 2000. I returned my license once during the trial period, uninstalled MultiTerm, cleaned the registry, and suddenly everything was OK. Then I reinstalled MultiTerm and reactivated the license, and now I'm getting these error messages again. I tried the Knowledge Base and the Solution Finder, but this problem isn't mentioned. Also, I cannot install Phrase Finder.
Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

Christa

[Edited at 2008-11-28 23:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-11-28 23:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-11-28 23:22 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try resetting the templates Nov 29, 2008

Start with your Normal.dot - don't delete it, but rename.
Then replace both Trados8.dot and MultiTerm.dot with fresh copies from Trads installation folder.
Now start Word - it will recreate the Normal.dot.
If this works, copy content from your old Normal.dot to your new Normal.dot using the function "Organise" in Word.

HTH
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy! Dec 1, 2008

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for your help! It didn't work, but it was worth a try.

Christa

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is strange... Dec 1, 2008

As the only reason for letting Word crash can be the templates or Word itself.
There is no other conjunction between Word and Trads as the template.
Do you have other active templates then, such as Acrobat or FineReader or other?
They may very well colide with Trados8.dot.

BR
Jerzy

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Dec 1, 2008

Hello Christa,

We have an article within the SDL knowledge base which should fix this issue. Please read the following article and follow the instructions provided:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1669&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you and Update Dec 3, 2008

Hi Gareth, hi Jerzy,

Thank you for your help!
I followed Gareth's advice, but didn't get rid of the error.
The good news: I know more about what's causing this error: a MultiTerm-MultiTexis incompatibility.
SDLX + Trados + MetaTexis "get along fine". As soon as MultiTerm is installed as well, I get these errors whenever I close a Word document.
Deactivating the .dot files of the programs I'm not using doesn't help.

I contacted MetaTexis support and followed Mr. Bruns advice to install the new version of MetaTexis, but this didn't fix the problem.

Here's the error message again, this time in German:

Winword. exe - Fehler in Anwendung

Die Anweisung in "0x4458b33b" verweist auf Speicher in 0x600103a8". Der Vorgang "read" konnte nicht auf dem Speicher durchgeführt werden.

Klicken Sie auf "OK", um das Programm zu beenden.

Any helpful ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Christa

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which active templates else do you have? Dec 3, 2008

First of all: this is unfair, as you did not inform us about what you have installed.
After my advice, that Word problems can be caused here only by templates you should have come with this information.
Now why do you need Metatexis and Trados and Multiterm active at the same time?
You will hardly translate with Metatexis AND Trados at once. As Metatexis and Trados are templates, simply install all what you need and then change the name of either Metatexis.dot (and other Metatexis related files, like *.ini) to Metatexis.do_ or *.in_, when you will not work with Metatexis or the name of Trados8.dot to Trados8.do_, when you will not work with Trados.
This method (changing the names accordingly from dot to do_ and vice versa) will assure you, that the system will be working fine and the settings of each product will remain exactly as they were.

HTH
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is not a Trados problem, and renaming or deactivating the .dot files didn't fix it Dec 4, 2008

Hi Jerzy,

All programs (including Trados!) installed on my computer with their respective plug ins were perfectly compatible with each other until I installed MultiTerm. Then the winword.exe errors started appearing. Also, I already told you that the error is related to MultiTerm, not to Trados. After uninstalling MultiTerm, there is no problem. I can deactivate the respective .dot files I'm not using, and everything is fine. On the other hand, when MultiTerm is installed, deactivating or renaming its .dot file doesn't help. By the way, the solution Gareth suggested had nothing to do with the templates, and it was for a similar error which had occured with an older version of MultiTerm.

As each component has its own installer - is it possible to run SDLx+Trados on one machine and MultiTerm on another (both with the same SDLTrados FL Suite License)?

Best,

Christa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance: Winword.exe application errors after installing MultiTerm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs