Vitaliy Plinto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:51
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2008

Dear Colleagues,

As a starting translator I plan on purchasing SDL Trados 2007 Freelancer package soon, but there are a couple of questions that I would like to be clear on to ensure a successful purchase:

1. I have heard from several experts that in order to purchase SDL Trados I must be licensed. What does this "licensing" entail? Does that mean that I must complete some Trados courses, or having a Master's degree in the Translation discipline would be enough? For exa
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

As a starting translator I plan on purchasing SDL Trados 2007 Freelancer package soon, but there are a couple of questions that I would like to be clear on to ensure a successful purchase:

1. I have heard from several experts that in order to purchase SDL Trados I must be licensed. What does this "licensing" entail? Does that mean that I must complete some Trados courses, or having a Master's degree in the Translation discipline would be enough? For example, I was taught how to use Trados in several courses throughout my Master's program. Does this satisfy the "licensing" requirement?

2. I am looking for some discounts on SDL Trados to save some money and to decrease my start-up costs. Are there any discounts offered specifically for members of ATA or local associations? If so, how often are they offered and how long do they generally last?

Thanks a lot for your help and cooperation!

Kind regards,

Vitaliy
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
No... Nov 30, 2008

1. Anyone can purchase.
2. Proz runs Trados offers regularly (translators' group buying) but I am not aware for special discounts for members of ATA or local associations. Perhaps, if you know many people in your local association willing to purchase, you could approach Trados and ask for an offer.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:51
English to Czech
+ ...
Licensing and Pricing Nov 30, 2008

Hi Vitaliy,
to your questions:
1) Licensing means that purchase a license to SDL Trados 2007, i. e. you won't be using it illegaly.
Licensing doesn't include any courses or similar, but you can take part in Trados's certification program.

2) If you're still a student, write directly to SDL International (www.translationzone.com) and ask them what discounts they could offer to
... See more
Hi Vitaliy,
to your questions:
1) Licensing means that purchase a license to SDL Trados 2007, i. e. you won't be using it illegaly.
Licensing doesn't include any courses or similar, but you can take part in Trados's certification program.

2) If you're still a student, write directly to SDL International (www.translationzone.com) and ask them what discounts they could offer to you. I am quite confident they're offering quite generous ones.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados purchase, licensing and discount

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »