Mobile menu

target .properties files with UTF8 encoding
Thread poster: Evi Prokopi
Evi Prokopi  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:01
English to Greek
+ ...
Nov 30, 2008

Hi, I have a problem with the encoding of some files.
I have translated several files using Tag Editor. My client asked me to save them with UTF8 Encoding, but I don't think I can. I open the bilingual (.properties.ttx) files with Notepad, I save them with the desired encoding, but when I open the target files with Notepad, I don't have any encoding option. When I open the target files with either notepad or firefox, they look corrupted, and I'm really upset. I don't know what to do.

Any help is more than welcome.

Evi

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your operating system language is? Nov 30, 2008

In Notepad there is no possibility to chose encoding of an opened file.
The garbaged look may however very well be caused by an inapropriate language of your OS.
For example if I would translate a txt file into Polish and save it in the right encoding, when I open it on my German OS, the PL characters still look garbled.

Best regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Notepad allows the files to be stored in UTF8 Nov 30, 2008

This is correct: the opened file has the encoding used when it has been stored. It misses the point however.

What is also correct and important in this case, is that Notepad can store files in UTF8. You need to select the correct coding the the drop-down box "Coding". Per default it is ANSI, but you have the possibility to store in Unicode, Unicode Big Endian and in UTF8.

[Edited at 2008-11-30 16:59 GMT]

English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
English Nov 30, 2008

My operating system is in English. I guess the same is the client's one. Does this mean that even if my system was in Greek, my client wouldn't be able to open the file with corrupted characters?

English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
there is no drop-down menu Nov 30, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

This is correct: the opened file has the encoding used when it has been stored. It misses the point however.

What is also correct and important in this case, is that Notepad can store files in UTF8. You need to select the correct coding the the drop-down box "Coding". Per default it is ANSI, but you have the possibility to store in Unicode, Unicode Big Endian and in UTF8.

What do you mean by "opened" file? I don't understand.

When I open the target file .properties, I don't have the option of encoding, this is what I explained. There is no drop-down menu.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can change the properties from Save as dialog Nov 30, 2008

Evi Prokopi wrote:

Vito Smolej wrote:

What do you mean by "opened" file? I don't understand.

When I open the target file .properties, I don't have the option of encoding, this is what I explained. There is no drop-down menu.

You should see the drop-down menu from the "Save as" dialog box in Notepad.

Daniel

English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xp Nov 30, 2008

Not in windows xp :/

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Most likely OK Nov 30, 2008

Generally, TE should not change the formatting of the source file. That is, your cleaned files should still be in UTF8.

Point out the character issue to your client and provide maybe one or two easily to locate examples for their engineers to verify.

I had this happen in the past and was rather concerned until I discovered an accented French word in the English source that looked OK in TE, but looked corrupted in the source text file. I checked with the client and they verified that everything was the way it should be.

However, my experience in using TE for properties files has been rather negative (at least with Trados 7.5). Sometimes the key/value pair is not split correctly with the result that translatable words are interpreted as part of the key and vice versa. Certain internal TE tags (eg. ampersand) have to be present in the target unit, otherwise you won't be able to clean the file, even if the target language does not need the ampersand. You need to insert it in TE and manually delete it afterwards.

For one project, the absence or presence of spaces after the equal sign was important. TE deleted all spaces. Not good!

I now translate properties files always in Word after defining the equal sign as Trados delimiter. It's also very simple to convert the strings into a table with the keys being one column, the values another column, so you don't have to deal with the keys at all.

This way, I at least know that there are no hidden problems when I deliver the translated files. You just have to remember to save the text files in Word as UTF8 afterwards.

English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wasn't allowed to use MS suite Nov 30, 2008

I wasn't allowed to use Word or any other MS programme ...to prevent characters corruption. I saved all the source files with UTF8 encoding,I'm trying to save the target files, and it gives me the error "Unable to locate original file"... :'(

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
if you cannot change encoding with Notepad... Dec 1, 2008

... you could use an encoding converter: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/UTF-8-converter.shtml

backup of the original files is recommended, as always:)

English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried, but I got an error? Dec 1, 2008

Hi Zoltán, I downloaded the freeware, but when I try to install it, it gives me the error "To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .Net Framework etc."...

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
no need to install it... Dec 1, 2008

but I guess you must have the appropriate .NET version. Other applications need it anyway, why don't you install it?:)

English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately Dec 2, 2008

Zoltan, it didn't work the files still appear corrupted

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

target .properties files with UTF8 encoding

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs