SDL Trados 2006 / remote access to TeamWorks
Thread poster: Diane Skinner
Diane Skinner
Diane Skinner
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Nov 30, 2008

I currently own SDL Trados 2007 and have obtained a freelance contract assignment from an agency. However, they own SDL Trados 2006 and have requested the remote installation of Trados Workbench following the instructions below. The version I have of SDL Trados does not require a dongle or softkey licence. Could you advise me how I should proceed?

a) Retrieve the setup files from the translation agency’s FTP site
... See more
I currently own SDL Trados 2007 and have obtained a freelance contract assignment from an agency. However, they own SDL Trados 2006 and have requested the remote installation of Trados Workbench following the instructions below. The version I have of SDL Trados does not require a dongle or softkey licence. Could you advise me how I should proceed?

a) Retrieve the setup files from the translation agency’s FTP site
ftp://companyname:[email protected]/TeamWorks/Software/SDLTrados7.5/SDLTrados2006_123.exe
b) When prompted, select "I'm using a dongle" and use the defaults for the rest of the options.
c) When prompted, enter the user name and password provided to you.

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-01 08:33 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:20
English
SDL Support... Dec 1, 2008

Hi Larousse,

The agency is probably using SDL TeamWorks 2006. This means that they have a version of SDL Trados 2006 residing on their server that can be used through the TeamWorks portal without a license at all because the license sits on the server and allows a certain number of users, based on how many Concurrent Access Licenses they own, access to the software at a time. It also means that if you want to work offline you can open the TeamWorks Package and work on the files in
... See more
Hi Larousse,

The agency is probably using SDL TeamWorks 2006. This means that they have a version of SDL Trados 2006 residing on their server that can be used through the TeamWorks portal without a license at all because the license sits on the server and allows a certain number of users, based on how many Concurrent Access Licenses they own, access to the software at a time. It also means that if you want to work offline you can open the TeamWorks Package and work on the files in Workbench (as part of SDL Trados 2006) without a separate license as long as you open the package using the TeamWorks Client.

So in summary:

If you work offline, the TeamWorks package provides a basic license.
If you work online, you’ll get the license from the server system.

It is worth knowing of course that SDL TeamWorks 2008 is available and if the agency was running this later version then you could work easily with your current version of SDL Trados 2007.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Gareth
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Diane Skinner
Diane Skinner
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados 2006 / remote access to TeamWorks Dec 1, 2008

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I am a complete novice to this, therefore, I am perplexed as to how to proceed. Do I need to install the agency Translator's Workbench or are you saying that there is another way (without a dongle) that I can access it while using the Trados 2007 version I already have installed? Precisely how I can retrieve the agency's set up files / TM server / Teamworks package in this situation?

Thanks again.
Larousse

[
... See more
Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I am a complete novice to this, therefore, I am perplexed as to how to proceed. Do I need to install the agency Translator's Workbench or are you saying that there is another way (without a dongle) that I can access it while using the Trados 2007 version I already have installed? Precisely how I can retrieve the agency's set up files / TM server / Teamworks package in this situation?

Thanks again.
Larousse

[Edited at 2008-12-01 13:23 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:20
English
SDL Support Team... Dec 2, 2008

Hello Larousse,

Please contact your agency regarding this issue and they should be able to advise you further and provide you with the relevant files.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2006 / remote access to TeamWorks

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »