Mobile menu

Trados and supported file formats
Thread poster: frederique sannier-lowry

frederique sannier-lowry  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:55
English to French
Dec 2, 2008

Hi all,
I've just installed SDL Trados 2007 and was going through the list of files it supports. Then a question suddenly arose in my little brain that gave me cold sweats. Do I need PageMaker (for example) installed on my computer to translate PM files with Trados ? Please tell me no !
This feels like a stupid question somehow...

Direct link Reply with quote

Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
not when you get the right files Dec 2, 2008

Hi Frederique,

You do not need the program installed to work with the files in Trados. However, with some programs the agency/your client may need to convert the original file into a Trados-compatible file so you can work with it (see Trados overview guide, there is a nice table explaining all of this). This is no problem as far as I know, you just need to know it (which I didn't the first time so I desperately tried to open something that could not be opened)

And by the way, as far as I am concerned, there are no stupid questions

Enjoy your day
Kind regards

frederique sannier-lowry  Identity Verified
English to French
phew... Dec 2, 2008

You saved my day, thank you Anja

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can translate all supported file formats with Trados without having the application Dec 2, 2008

but you will not be able to produce the final file, though.
Without having PageMaker for example you can't export a PM file, but must get already exported text (the same applies to Quark or older InDesign up to CS).
So when you don't have the target application you will always need to ask somebody (maybe your customer) to prepare files for you.
Having the necessary application does allow you to prepare files on your own.

BTW, I've moved this topic to SDL Trados Support forum, as it fits there best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and supported file formats

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs