Mobile menu

SDLX - FrameMaker.mif (English>Japanese) broken char issue
Thread poster: Mjay
Mjay  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:47
English to Japanese
Dec 4, 2008

Using SDLX, FrameMaker .mif file translation from English to Japanese results in a garbled character file. Can somebody help?

===========================================================
Platform: Windows XP SP2 English (Japanese Locale)
Application: SDLX 2007 SP3

File Type: FrameMaker 8.0 .mif (FrameMaker 7 shows the same issue)
Source Language: English (U.S.)
Target Language: Japanese

Issue: Using SDLX Project Wizard, the English .mif is converted correctly. After translation, again using the Project Wizard to create translated .mif, all the Japanese characters are garbled and unreadable, regardless of the Target Encoding settings during the Wizard.

Symptom: As a workaround, I prepared the source file by using TRADOS Fontmapper for FrameMaker to change all English fonts to FM UI Gothic. In this case, the fontmapped source .mif is converted correctly to .itd and preview function works fine on SDL Edit (Japanese characters are shown appropriately on FrameMaker). However, after translating all relevant files including ix.itd, va.itd, and xr.itd, and creating a translation from the project via Project Wizard, the resulting Japanese .mif is completely corrupt and unreadable.

============================================================

Thanks,
MJ

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:47
English to Czech
+ ...
Update Dec 5, 2008

Hi MJ,
AFAIK, there's a hotfix available from sdl.talisma.com. It fixes the broken characters issue in Trados, but I'm not so sure about SDLX. You might want to try it anyway.

Mjay  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:47
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Hotfix (SP2) from SDL didn't work on char issue on SDLX Dec 5, 2008

Hi Stanislav,

Thank you for your comment.
Unfortunately, as you suspected, the current hotfix didn't fix the issue....

I'm open to any suggestions, please let me know if there is anything else I should try.

Thanks,
MJ

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX - FrameMaker.mif (English>Japanese) broken char issue

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs