Thread poster: psicutrinius

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:23
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2008

I have a joint TM for three documents (TE). Have been changing quite extensively number three (matter was that I translated a series of acronyms, EN>ES, and then (after the event), I was told to keep the acronyms verbatim but adding the full translations behind, which I am finishing.

Must send the bilinguals

Once this is finished, I want to update the TM, I think overwriting?, so that any changes in Doc 3 that might apply to Docs 1 and 2 appear directly when "pretranslating" them.

What I do NOT want is messing anything up (or closing the TM without saving the changes.

What is the best (and I should add, most foolproof) way of doing so?.

Thanks and best regards

Psicu

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clean up - Update TM Dec 5, 2008

I'd do a cleanup (Tools > Cleanup) of the TTX files, making sure you have the "Update TM" radio button enabled. That will put the segments in the memory up-to-date for any future jobs.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Keep in mind that you have the bilingual information in two forms .... Dec 5, 2008

That will put the segments in the memory up-to-date for any future jobs.

both in the bilingual document(s) as well as in TM. It is up to you to make sure, you know which of the two is younger and to act accordingly. Those two radio buttons in Tools > Translate (Update TM and Update Document) can cause a lot of suffering if the wrong one is chosen. For instance when you select Update Document after spell checking it: it reverts to the status before spell check - i.e. the old version out of TM. What you may have intended, is to update the TM with the latest version of your bilingual document or documents - which is (of course) what that other radio button is for.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-12-05 15:53 GMT]

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both... Dec 5, 2008

The answer to the "how" was very clearly Tomás', but the one about the "foolproofing" is certainly Vito's. So that's clear now.

But.

Even though this will label me forever as a nerd, I wonder, why it is necessary to clean the document when what I want is to update the TM only?. Doc 3 is complete -with the spellcheck and everything- and, of course, fully updated. Next step, as I see it, is to update the TM and then to correct, now automatically (at least for ANY occurrence of the corrected terms) the remaining two.

Of course, I can clean no.3 and then "pretranslate" again all three, but I see no objective reason for so doing. And what if there is, say, a formatting quirk in the original and Trados refuses to clean?. Because if I use the "clean main" macro directly, then of course cleaned it gets, but no update either...

Am I missing something?. That is, is there a sound reason for this to be so or is this just one of Trados', say, "peculiarities"?

I asked about "foolprofing" because that is a 20.000 segment TM and I'd rather use a "belt and braces" approach than risking the pants slipping down...

Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
More "foolproofing" Dec 6, 2008

The most foolproof method I can think of would consist in making a copy of the TM as well as of your TE document. Remember to copy *all* files of the TM. If something goes wrong, you can then reverse to your actual situation.

Clean up in Workbench is used for both updating the TM and/or cleaning the document. This option can also be used to only update the TM without producing a clean document, for example if you only have the TE file, but not the original document. If you do not need the cleaned file, just ignore it or delete it afterwards. So, yes, this is one of the Trados peculiarities, it's just a somewhat special way to name things ...

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Andrea... Dec 6, 2008

Yes

psicutrinius wrote:
is this just one of Trados', say, "peculiarities"?

The above is the understatement of the year. I know. But then, if I had been candid enough, either the moderator would have scrapped the comment or I might be facing plenty of lawyers...

This said, again thank you for the extra set of braces. In fact, I would have done almost exactly what you say, so I am not THAT much of a nerd... and this is a pleasing thought.

Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Politically correct Dec 6, 2008

I think you found a very smart way to express this in a politically correct manner. That's why I used your expression myself.

I already supposed that you would think of making copies yourself before starting out, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Better safe than sorry ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UPDATING A TM...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs