Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 09:31
German to English
Dec 5, 2008

I recently purchased and downloaded the latest version of Trados 8:

My OS is Windows XP Pro, SP2

I had a previous version of Trados 7 installed. The documentation indicated that side-by side versions was possible.

I ran the installer, then registered my activation code.

When I tried to run TagEditor, I immediately got an error message indicating that TE had encountered a problem and had to close. I tried opening the program using Synergy. That program opened, then I got an error message as well, stating that Synergy had encountered a problem.

I then assumed that the old version (7.50.757) was causing problems, so foolishly I uninstalled it, but the new TagEditor still wouldn't open.

I then fully uninstalled the new Trados 8, since when I tried to repair the program, I didn't get a screen offering me a repair option, only a statement indicating that Trados was already installed.

My second (or third, or fourth, depending on how you view it) error was not giving back my installation code before uninstalling the program, but that's a separate issue.

During the reinstall of Trados 8, I received a quick error message saying that TagEditor had encountered a problem and had to close.

None of the programs will open at this juncture.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding personal experience with this issue or a link to an item in the SDL knowledge base addressing this.
Kevin F

Direct link Reply with quote

Anett Lindner
English to German
Registry Dec 5, 2008

Hi Kevin,

although I am not an expert I resolved the problems I encountered with Trados 2007 by a simple cleansing of the registry using TuneUp utilities.

FYI: I had two versions of Microsoft Office on my computer, 2007 and XP which caused the problem. I deinstalled Office 2007 and Trados, cleaned the registry (where > 200 problems were found), rebooted and installed Trados again. Since then, I encountered no problem at all.

So maybe this will help to resolve your problem as well.

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 09:31
German to English
I'll try TuneUp Utilities Dec 6, 2008

G*d knows I've tried everything else.

I also tried installing an older version, and TE won't start in that version either. It's making me crazy, as all my resources are on my desktop computer and I hate switching back and forth.
Thanks, Kevin

PS (later) Tried TuneUp, no joy.

[Edited at 2008-12-06 02:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot start Trados 8

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs