SDL MultiTerm - Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:04
English to French
+ ...
Dec 6, 2008

I am having a problem which the SDL knowledge base doesn't seem to offer a solution to. I am using version 7.5 of MultiTerm Desktop.

I have a bilingual termbase containing just under 2000 terms. The termbase is English < > French. I opened the termbase directly in the MultiTerm application and wanted to change the translation for a term. When I click on the Edit button, the term record goes blank for a few seconds, and then, I get the following error messages:

1. A small popup with "Microsoft Internet Explorer" in its title bar simply displays the word null. I click OK.
2. I get another similar popup, this time containing the string java.lang.NullPointerException.

I restarted my computer, I reorganized the TDB, searched the knowledge base, the help file, etc. Nothing. The only thing I found is an article in the knowledge base that does mention the error I am getting - but it assumes I am using Tomcat to access an online termbase, which is not at all my case (this is a local termbase created and maintained by me).

I don't understand what is wrong, because I have been working with this termbase for the past three months and I never had a problem. I did not introduce any characters that are not part of the charset for the termbase's languages. I add most terms directly through TagEditor. Sometimes, I add them manually, but I haven't done so in a while, so I doubt any of my manually created records may contain something that may be causing this problem.

Please, let me know if you know the solution to this problem or where I can find it. Hopefully, I get some quick replies - I am doing QA on a large set of files and I can't continue. This is causing unnecessary delays.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2008-12-06 04:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:04
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You might try that... Dec 6, 2008

You can check in Control Panels/Java. If you have one there, look
under Java tab for runtime settings and check the versions installed.
Then, go to Advanced tab and under Java Plug-in, disable the checkbox
'Enable the next-generation....'.

You may need to restart the computer after this change.

(Source: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/46401 Author: Alexandre Rafalovitch).

It worked for me.

That prompts a question: Do you need to ask SDL for permission before updating Java (in this case) because Sun issued a SECURITY patch?More specifically, even: How do you know WHEN do you need to do so, whenever any software maker does?. Shouldn't SDL issue THEIR patch for this instead, and in the open, even if you have not paid for their support?

Marcel

[Editado a las 2008-12-06 07:04 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the previous advice does not help Dec 6, 2008

try to deinstall Java 5/12.
Go to Controll Panel, chose Add/Remove Programs (or ist it called Software in English), and deinstall the J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 12. It does not really matter, if you have newer versions there. For Trados you must have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10 and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 12. In this step don't touch J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10, but just deinstall J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 12. Of course I assume all your programs are closed, when you're deinstalling. Restart you PC.
Now go to C:\documents and settings\current user\local settings\temp\SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1\Products\SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop\SupportFiles\OEM\jre-1_5_0_12-windows-i586-p.exe, where "current user" represents your admin login for Windows XP, and install it. Otherwise go to the folder you unzipped the installer files for MultiTerm and install the jre-1_5_0_12-windows-i586-p.exe.
Restart your PC - now it should work again.
BTW, beware of Internet Explorer 8, as then your MultiTerm will not work properly anymore.

BR
Jerzy

PS
I strongly assume you've already tried to register your MultiTerm in your system, using the C:\Program files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007\#_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat (from your installation folder).

[Edited at 2008-12-06 18:43 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed, check the Internet Explorer version Dec 6, 2008

BTW, beware of Internet Explorer 8, as then your MultiTerm will not work properly anymore.

Indeed. The MultiTerm application depends a lot on Internet Explorer.

I had a problem once with MultiTerm 7.1 and 7.5 which only appeared when used in combination with Internet Explorer 7 but not with Internet Explorer 6.

If Java is not the culprit, then it might be Internet Explorer...

Daniel

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - thanks! Dec 7, 2008

Internet Explorer wasn't the culprit - I don't use it and so, naturally, I don't upgrade it either.

I did install the current version of Java lately, as suggested by Jerzy, and removing it solved the problem.

Thanks to all who have contributed. Hopefully, the next person having this problem will come across this thread - they will be well served by your advice.

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:04
Member (2004)
English to Russian
I was the next one to run into it Dec 9, 2008

Thank you, Victoria, and thank you, Jerzy.
I did not edit my MT glossaries for about a couple of weeks as I was too busy for that. Today I tried editing one of them and ran into the problem. Remembering vaguely that the problem was recently raised in the SDL forum I easily found it and indeed remembered that a few days ago I had accepted an automatic Java update. Following Jerzy's advice I removed the latest Java Runtime Environment which was Java (TM) 6 Update 10, and that fixed it.
Jerzy suggested that the latest Java Environment MT works on is J2SE Runtime Environnment 5.0 Update 10. Mine actually works fine on Java (TM) 6 Update 7.
I am pointing it out not to find fault with Jerzy's recommendations which are always very helpful, and I am indeed grateful to him, but to prevent anyone after me to unneccessarily remove too many Java versions, which I believe may affect the operation of the IE. Probably for the software environment Jerzy uses it is correct. I use MS Windows Vista and SDL Trados Freelance 2007 which handles Java environment up to 6 Update 7.
Probably, the safest way woud be to start removing them one by one, beginning with the latest version and testing MT after each removed instance of the software.

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So we cannot keep Java security current because SDL says so? Dec 9, 2008

What comes first for users: Java (thus Internet, general) security, or Trados?.

In other words: Shouldn't SDL follow up SUN (in this case automatically, and for free, as SUN does) with their patch? Or should SDL be held liable by whatever consequences not upgrading Java might have?

Ah, ok: You have to have bought support. I see. And if not, it is the user who bears the consequences.

Very SDL-like

[Editado a las 2008-12-09 08:12 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not really Dec 9, 2008

Ah, ok: You have to have bought support. I see. And if not, it is the user who bears the consequences.

Before posting claims about paid support you should first check free ressources.
When you go to http://talisma.sdl.com you'll find a corresponding information just at the starting page. The corresponding article is "Error message "null" followed by the message "java.lang.NullPointerException" when you add or edit termbase entry in SDL MultiTerm" and the article ID is 2362.
This is a free ressource for anyone, regardless if you have paid service or not.

As for the problem itself:
What you definitely must have to keep Trados working are Java 5 Update 10 and 12.
What you definitely must NOT have, are Java 6 Update 10 and 11.
But you can keep Java 6 with older updates.
As you may see in the quoted article, SDL programmers are currently investigating why this problem occurs.

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:04
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Nothing seems to help... Dec 9, 2008

I have tried everything: uninstalling and re-installing Java from scratch, uninstalling and re-installing TRADOS 2007 and the upgrade to the new Suite version (the whole process taking some 40 minutes on an average computer)... all to no avail.

It's good to know that someone has succeeded in rectifying this, however nothing has worked for me so far.

I am sorry if I sound too harsh or negative, but I am blaming this whole mess on SDL TRADOS, since they are the creators and sellers of this software and therefore they must take care of the problem, not us - the paying customers!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did it work previously on your PC? Dec 9, 2008

Maybe you have a different source of error due to some other software.
Which Internet Explorer version do you use?

If it worked before, maybe restoring your PC will help?

Robert Schlarb  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Cheers Jerzy Dec 9, 2008

Today for the first time, the problem described above by Victoria cropped up. I just followed Jerzy's instructions and ... there you are - right back on track.
I assume that it would be advisable to opt out of automatic Java updates as this could result in the same incompatibility at any time.

Thanks again Jerzy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
According to talisma yes Dec 9, 2008

One should stop automatic updates for the next time, yes.

Look in the quoted article on talisma.sdl.com, the way to do it is described there.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Coup de théâtre! Dec 9, 2008

Well, that's interesting. I seem to have been the first to post with this problem and it seems I am the first who got to resolve the issue with a little help from my friends.

However - brace yourselves, this is the good part! -, nothing works anymore. I am getting the same error message again, for no apparent reason. No, I didn't install any JRE updates in the meantime. Now, I am totally baffled... What should I uninstall next? My latest version of JRE? SDL Trados? I am seriously considering it... I have already lost two very precious hours today, when I have 20K words to translate within a week. I can't afford to waste time now.

What gives, SDL? Usually, Mr. SDL Support is very active in this forum...

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Dec 9, 2008

Well, it seems I am f#%#$ed!

Today, upon seeing that I am having the same problem again, I decided to revert to update 10 for both Java 5 and Java 6 - which means I uninstalled update 12 for Java 5.

Can anybody tell me how I can install it again? Thousands of dollars are at stake here...

Thanks!

PS to SDL: I hope you realize that, in order to be able to use a software package that is supposedly the best of its kind, people shouldn't have to mess, to the point where their eyes cross, with updates for software that is crucial for a system to function. I don't want to use big words - suffice to say I'm pissed.

[Edited at 2008-12-09 21:09 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please start with registering the software Dec 9, 2008

Use the "Register Trados..." from Trados program group and the "*self register*.bat" from the Multiterm installation folder.

Should this not help, please try repairing your installations - go to Add/Remove programs, select the corresponding application and chose "Modify", then "Repair".

Please also check, that you certainly don't have JRE 6 Update 10 and 11. In my case the following JREs are present:
JRE 5 / 5
JRE 5 / 10
JRE 5 / 12
JRE 6 / 5
JRE 6 / 6
JRE 6 / 7

For the time being my installation is working.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm - Error: java.lang.NullPointerException

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs