Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Any good trick how to use 2 different Trados Freelance versions on 1 internet connection?
Thread poster: Tomas Forro
Tomas Forro
Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:35
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Most definitely Kevin... Dec 7, 2008

I absolutely agree with you Kevin. And as I wrote, this was my first and last thing I bought from SDL.
I think the problem is that most of translators don't really understand all this dirty stuff behind their "favorite CAT tool" - if you barely know how to open translation unit and move to another one, you can hardly understand pros and cons of your decision whatto purchase - you just follow the aggressive campaign and "do what the others do".
And that's even more ridiculous, because
... See more
I absolutely agree with you Kevin. And as I wrote, this was my first and last thing I bought from SDL.
I think the problem is that most of translators don't really understand all this dirty stuff behind their "favorite CAT tool" - if you barely know how to open translation unit and move to another one, you can hardly understand pros and cons of your decision whatto purchase - you just follow the aggressive campaign and "do what the others do".
And that's even more ridiculous, because most translators who are unknowingly the victims of SDL, will never be skilled enough with software to be able to take advantage on "great innovations of Trados", i.e. any advanced features of Trados.
Most translators would be happy enough with Wordfast which is incomparably friendlier, cheaper and more reliable. And they even have a policy to support translators who have more difficult starting line so their prices are different in different world regions.

However, unfortunately I belong to that minor group of translators who have to use Trados server-based tm. But as for the future, I already know my direction...
Collapse

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
wha do you need "home network" Dec 7, 2008

Hi Tomasi,

Just a suggestion...

why do you need the home network? I know, you can share data and be connected to internet with both your computers - it has lots of advantages. However, if you connect your computers to internet via wireless connection - your problem is solved. The only thing you need is to purchase a router and equip your computers with wifi receivers or connect them to the router via cables...

cheers
Honza

[Edite
... See more
Hi Tomasi,

Just a suggestion...

why do you need the home network? I know, you can share data and be connected to internet with both your computers - it has lots of advantages. However, if you connect your computers to internet via wireless connection - your problem is solved. The only thing you need is to purchase a router and equip your computers with wifi receivers or connect them to the router via cables...

cheers
Honza

[Edited at 2008-12-07 18:48 GMT]
Collapse

Tomas Forro
Poland
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it makes no difference Dec 7, 2008

Jan Kolbaba wrote:

Hi Tomasi,

Just a suggestion...

cheers
Honza

[Edited at 2008-12-07 18:48 GMT]

Cau Honza,
Thanks for your post. It makes no difference if you're connected via cabel or wifi. It is all network. In the fact, when I'm talking about the home network, it is wifi in my particular case... we are using wifi router and it is still the same thing, as the router itself is connecting to internet and we're connecting to the router.
However, the advice with changing the workgroup seems to be working for the time being. I'll see for how long though, as it might be my firewall, still preventing some of trados's processes (I already changed the rules, but sometimes it takes some time to reset).
Best regards/vsetko dobre
Tomas.

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
OK Dec 7, 2008

OK.....

Please, let me know as soon as you find a permanent solution. It is really interesting topic. Lets hope you will not have to buy a Professional version of Trados.

Good luck!

Honza

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:35
German to English
+ ...
Version? Dec 8, 2008

What version of Trados are you using?

Sorry to heard that you are stuck with server-based TMs. I refuse those jobs on principle, even though I have the technical ability to deal with them.

Tomas Forro
Poland
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 Dec 8, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

What version of Trados are you using?

Sorry to heard that you are stuck with server-based TMs. I refuse those jobs on principle, even though I have the technical ability to deal with them.

Hello Kevin, I'm using Trados 2007 SP2.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
No Windows Network? Dec 8, 2008

I have not tried it myself, but maybe it will work...

If your printer is, as you say, network-enabled, then you might build your home network solely with TCP/IP. You can then share the printer that way, without using Windows Network at all.

Sharing files might be a little trickier, but it can be solved, too. For example, you might buy a NAS (network attached storage) drive, which are pretty cheap today and will do improve your setup on their own (i.e. you do not have t
... See more
I have not tried it myself, but maybe it will work...

If your printer is, as you say, network-enabled, then you might build your home network solely with TCP/IP. You can then share the printer that way, without using Windows Network at all.

Sharing files might be a little trickier, but it can be solved, too. For example, you might buy a NAS (network attached storage) drive, which are pretty cheap today and will do improve your setup on their own (i.e. you do not have to turn the sharing computer on each time you want to access the common files).
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 18:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
The same with me Dec 23, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

That's how I see it. I complained about this very issue loudly a few years ago and was supplied with a special EXE file by a Trados executive that would allow me to operate my two freelance licenses on the home network. However, I don't count on this happening a second time, so I haven't upgraded since v7.5 and probably will not do so.

This problem comes up very frequently, and the official answer is always the same: you were "warned", and now you must pay up and get the "pro" version. Like freelancers aren't professionals in the first place? I'd say it's SDL that is unprofessional and hostile to users who don't fit its favored profile. At the same time, the company bleeds us like a jar full of leeches as often as possible for "upgrades".

It's really time to work harder at educating the user base and stop encouraging people to bend over and gratefully accept the sort of user abuse that SDL Trados dishes out. Unless you are the sort of person who yearns to do cattle call chaos projects involving online TMs & the like, it is utterly unnecessary to have a Trados license to create and deliver the uncleaned bilingual files that many outsourcers expect. There are many ways to do this - I'm not going to hawk my favorite ones here in this forum, because I think the important thing to emphasize here is that it is time to say a loud NO to SDL as long as such policies persist. There are many instances or translating couples or other small network-sharing arrangements, where the Professional version simply isn't in the budget, but rather than help those people, SDL Trados with its eye on maximizing the dollars from the corporate business would rather screw them.

I think the attitude of SDL's many competitors is generally healthier in this regard.

[Edited at 2008-12-07 17:04 GMT]

I share you the same feeling. I even have never seen a published information regarding this ridiculous restriction before I already purchased 2 licenses.

I wish if you share me a solution.

Thank you
Ahmed Wadan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any good trick how to use 2 different Trados Freelance versions on 1 internet connection?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »