Clean up error (32) with SDL Trados 2007
Thread poster: Christopher Smith

Christopher Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
Dec 9, 2008

After buying a new computer with Windows Vista, I found that Trados 6.5 would not work with it so I reluctantly shelled out GBP 647.35 for SDL Trados 2007.

I am also using MS Office 2007 on a trial basis and my client's document opened in compatibility mode for Office 2003-2007. I had previously had no problem with this configuration.

After translating the document, I went to clean-up in Trados. It ran through the process and gave the error message: "(32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. File skipped!"
I have no other processes in operation that could conceivably be using the file. Word 2007 was closed.
I have tried:
- Restarting the computer
- Shutting the computer down and restarting it (cold re-boot)
- Saving the file with a different name and trying again
- Converting a duplicate version of the file to Office 2007 format

Has anyone else had this problem? After buying SDL Trados 2007, I couldn't afford to buy the service support package as well and their is nothing about this glitch in their free online support.

Direct link Reply with quote

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:02
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Almost the same here Dec 9, 2008

I've got the same situation as you, Christopher, regarding the computer: Windows Vista, Office 2007 and now SDL Trados 2007, and having translated successfully got the following error message: "-2147467259: The target document cannot be created because the tag structure in the TagEditor document is invalid.
File skipped!" - BUT: the file was cleaned (I just can't find the corresponding BAK-file) and I could use it well.

Also I found out that the support works well also for those who don't have the service support. I tried to find out the solution for not beeing able to work at all with Trados after upgrading and having tried everything, even every single solution at their knowledge base site, I contacted them via e-mail and was very well assisted, at the end through a telefone call (from Germany to Brazil)! In case I find no solution for this thing now, that's what I will do again.

Have you tried the knowledge base?

Christopher Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
Problem resolved by saving the document in RTF Dec 9, 2008

Hi Constance,
Thanks for your reply. After a cup of tea and some soothing music it occurred to me that there might be some hidden macro or other formatting in the source document that activated another programme, so I saved it in Rich Text Format. That solved the problem and it cleaned up without any errors.
Problem solving really can be difficult when you have 3 new systems recently installed, as they are all relatively unfamiliar!

Kind regards,

Paula González Fernández  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:02
Partial member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
too late, but thanks! Dec 2, 2009

Thanks to Christopher! I've been fighting with one very document for hours till I read your suggestion. I've translated other 2007 docx with no problem, but this one maybe had many macros and images, don't know...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean up error (32) with SDL Trados 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs