Thread poster: psicutrinius

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:47
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 11, 2008

I have had a problem earlier with that (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/120739-multiterm_toolbar_in_word_2003_sp3_kills_word.html).

I fixed it as per the instructions given and got back to the requested version. That works now correctly.

However, my Belarc advisor tells me now that I am missing a CRITICAL safety update to .NET. This seems to have been uninstalled when rolling back the .NET version that caused the problems that prompted me to post the thread (I say so because this warning appeared just immediately after I fixed the problem, and it refers to a MS service bulletin dated July, 10, 2007, though I have them all current to date including last tuesday's set of patches).

That's a bind: I do NOT want Trados to misbehave again, but I do not wish to have a "critical" risk in my computer -though I admit that if forced to choose, I choose to keep trados going smoothly).

What to do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the correct .NET Framework version was installed Dec 11, 2008

and this is the .NET Framework WITHOUT the SP1, during the installation of Trados, installing further updates afterwards should do no harm.
I for one now have .NET Framework 2 SP1 on my PC.
But I've also have had .NET Framework 3 too on my other PC and Trados was working. However, this was an older version of Trados. Now I can give you NO guarantee, that after installing of this or that software your PC will still behave as it should.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A .Net mess... Dec 11, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and this is the .NET Framework WITHOUT the SP1, during the installation of Trados, installing further updates afterwards should do no harm.
I for one now have .NET Framework 2 SP1 on my PC.
But I've also have had .NET Framework 3 too on my other PC and Trados was working. However, this was an older version of Trados. Now I can give you NO guarantee, that after installing of this or that software your PC will still behave as it should.

Generally, Jerzy is right.
Normally, in this kind of situations, the older Trados versions were messed up and unusable if installed over a patched .Net installation.
You should patch .Net after you install SDLT.
If .Net is patched, the best way was to uninstall it but sometimes it produces a general Windows collapse.

The newer versions behave better (e.g., I just reinstalled 2007 Suite because of a problem related to TE-Workbench communication and apparently it seems it worked fine).

The .Net 3.x may be a problem.
The last time I installed SDLT 2007 over an existing .Net 3.0, I received a message "a .Net 2.0 or newer is required"

You see, the .Net programming made by SDL is very messy, they don't check the prerequisites as they should do...

PS.
Em recordo perfectament que haig de respondre a un altre post teu sobre el català... em falta temps fins dissabte...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-11 21:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.NET security patches and effects of these in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs