Showing MultiTerm entries with attributes in TWB
Thread poster: Lutz Plueckhahn

Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
Member (2003)
English to German
Dec 11, 2008

Dear all,

Is there a way to display the attributes (or text fields) of MT entries in the Terminology Recognition pane of Translator's Workbench?

I have added "text fields" on all available levels, i.e. entry, index and term. But non of those appears in the Terminology pane of TWB.

The Trados Knowledge Base says:
-------------------
Although your SDL MultiTerm 7.1 termbase contains entries with defined attributes, these term attributes may not be displayed in the terminology window of Translator's Workbench during translation.

Explanation
SDL MultiTerm 7.1 only supports showing values of the fields defined at entry level, and not the ones that are defined on index level.
Resolution
This issue has been fixed in SDL MultiTerm 2007 (v7.5).
--------------------

Has anyone managed to show ANY field other than the ones containing the entries?

I have TWB 8.2 and MT 7.5 (both part of Trados 2007).

TIA!

Lutz

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Text fields never appear in the Workbench Dec 11, 2008

They will not show up.
What is missing in the quoted text is the information, that Workbench is only capable of showing attribute fields defined as pick list.
It is also quite understandeable, as the terminology recognition window in TWB is too small to show more than this. In case you are using more than one dictionary and you also have synonyms, this place becomes crowdy very fast - would you also show text fields, you quite certainly would miss the view of important terms.

And the answer to your question:
Has anyone managed to show ANY field other than the ones containing the entries?

is a definitive yes. All properly defined pick list fields do show in the terminology recognition window in the Workbench.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:00
English to French
+ ...
One thing that is feasible Dec 12, 2008

I have an environmental termbase which contains an incredible amount of acronyms. My problem with acronyms is that, in French, they have a gender, just like their spelled out forms. Sometimes, I come across an acronym and I can't tell whether it is feminine or masculine. The solution I've come up with is to create an entry for the acronym and an entry for the spelled out form of it. Then, I merge the two entries. This means that a single entry contains several translations, which are all properly displayed in Workbench. So, I get to determine the gender of acronyms using this solution.

The same way, if the information you want to display is short, you can add it between brackets in the term field, which means this information will display along with the term. The disadvantage is that, if you want to use the quality assurance features of TagEditor, you will get a lot of false positives, since you will not use the part between brackets in your target segments, which means that such segments will generate an error message.

Another workaround is to use ApSic XBench to read your termbase. When you search for a term in XBench, all of the fields in a termbase entry are displayed. I routinely add context information to my termbase entries, and when I look up terms in XBench, I always see the context that I added. Naturally, if you would be using XBench only to look up terms in a termbase, then this solution isn't any more practical than keeping MultiTerm open for the same purpose. But if you would also use XBench to search TMs as well and to run quality assurance, then it may be much more useful to have the XBench window handy than to have MultiTerm open as you work.

I find that XBench is really nice to have in order to eliminate the number of items on your taskbar. For me, it replaces my Web browser, the MultiTerm window and any software I would use to view reference material that is not part of the project I am working on. My taskbar typically has my e-mail client, my Windows Explorer replacement, Workbench, TagEditor and XBench. Since I've been using this setup, the number of running tasks was reduced by half.

[Edited at 2008-12-12 03:17 GMT]

Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jerzy! Dec 12, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

would you also show text fields, you quite certainly would miss the view of important terms.

I see. On the other hand, shouldn't I be the one to decide instead of the Trados developers? And: wouldn't this argument also apply to pick lists?

...is a definitive yes. All properly defined pick list fields do show in the terminology recognition window in the Workbench.

Well, that's at least a good workaround for me as I mainly need short information such as "product line".

Thanks for your help!
Lutz

Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Adding fields in an existing termbase? Dec 12, 2008

OK, I think I managed to add a pick field (note that only the contents of the target language entries are shown).

But how do I add pick fields to an existing termbase? Although I seem to be able to add them, they won't show up when I edit/add the entries. Do I have to create an entirely new termbase and import my entries?

Thanks,

Lutz

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
They don't show by default Dec 12, 2008

In the default input model only the necessary things (term entries) are shown.
Now, when you already added the fields to an existing termbase (by modyfying the termbase definition) you have them there, but they don't show by default.
You can simply right click with your mouse on the dot appearing in from of the term while editing and then chose your field.
For adding new entries you can create a special input models to include all necessary things for you.

Watch ProZ.com, next year there will be more online training here, also about Multiterm.

Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
They won't show at all! Dec 12, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You can simply right click with your mouse on the dot appearing in from of the term while editing and then chose your field.

I've tried this, but the new fields refuse to appear - no matter on which level I put them. I think this simply doesn't work, just as it isn't possible to delete a text field (even after I erased all entries in a test termbase).

Cheers,
Lutz

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Try MultiTerm.dot ... Dec 12, 2008

I had it working now and then and eventually dumped it because TWB solution was good enough, given the VB5.0-or-less interface of the Word plug-in. However, it may offer what you are looking for.

regards

Vito

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please be patient Dec 12, 2008

This works, at least it works for me.
Maybe you need to reorganise the termbase.
You also could export the entries, save the termbase definition and recreate it.

Sorry, but I don't know better help.

BR
Jerzy

Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 13, 2008

Thanks, Jerzy!

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
You also could export the entries, save the termbase definition and recreate it.

That's what I eventually did - thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Lutz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Showing MultiTerm entries with attributes in TWB

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs