Thread poster: Elisabete Cunha

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 11, 2008

Hi there

I am translating a word document, more specifically a bilingual table, with Trados 7 and in some sentences when I move on to the next segment the source does not disappear.

And yes, I have already tried the normal procedure - go to Tools / Options, select the "View" tab and click on "Hidden text" to uncheck the option. But the option is unchecked and the source is still there. Further when I move from one segment to another, the formatting is changed (font and sometimes color).

I have also tried to close the document and TM and reopening them and I even restarted the PC, but the problem remains the same.

Any idea on how to solve this?

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Do the job in Tageditor Dec 11, 2008

I have seen all of these problems, and read all the Knowledgebase articles about it on Trados's website.
They suggest some remedies, but those do not solve the problem completely.
I found the only good way is to work in Tageditor.
Even if you already started translating in Workbench, you can start over in TagEditor, as you will get the translated segments from the TM.
Katalin

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same idea had occurred to me Dec 11, 2008

But the client wants the Word file because it is a bilingual table. Of course I can do it in Tag Editor and export it to Word, but that would be the clean file. But how to get an unclean file in Word using Tag Editor? That is my only problem...

I have already contacted the client and he is also trying to solve this. I will see if he agrees to do it with Tag Editor instead, that would be so great.

Thanks for your help, Katalin.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try again with Word Dec 12, 2008

You may give it another try using Word, by taking a copy of the source file and using the Tools/Translate option of Workbench (after selecting the appropriate TM). It may or may not work - but it takes little time.
Another possibility is to use Wordfast. If the file is relatively short (TM contains less than 500 translation units) then the trial version of Wordfast can handle it perfectly. You need to export and import the TM, and then use the Tools/Translate function. The output is exactly the same as it should be with Trados (just Wordfast does not usually mix up the fonts) - even the tw4winMark font ( <0} ) is the same, so your client will have no problem with handling the bilingual file with Trados. If the file is bigger, the trial version of WF will no longer suffice.
Otherwise I agree with Katalin: if you work with Trados, you should seriously consider using TagEditor even for Word files. For one, you can make use of the numerous quality control tools only in TagEditor, not in Word.
Attila

[Edited at 2008-12-12 09:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source is mixed with target and all formatting is lost

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs