Thread poster: Johannes Pohl
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
English
SDL Trados Support... May 12, 2009

Hello Kristina,

I can confirm that Stanislav is correct. If you are using SDL Trados 2007 Freelance then please make sure you return your activation code from your computer before re-formatting your Hard Drive, otherwise your activation code will be lost.

Tomas's post is correct if you are using a professional node locked license as this generates a unique license file using your computer's MAC address which is then accessed via your online SDL account. However, because
... See more
Hello Kristina,

I can confirm that Stanislav is correct. If you are using SDL Trados 2007 Freelance then please make sure you return your activation code from your computer before re-formatting your Hard Drive, otherwise your activation code will be lost.

Tomas's post is correct if you are using a professional node locked license as this generates a unique license file using your computer's MAC address which is then accessed via your online SDL account. However, because you are using an activation code and not a node locked license it will need to be returned first.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-05-12 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:08
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

The difference between theory and practice May 12, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

]

1) This is not very convenient though (and sometimes it is impossible). Windows is usually reinstalled when it crashes and becomes unusable. And, naturally, it is too late to return any licenses at that point. If SDL is concerned with their customers' practical needs, this should be changed.

2) I have a desktop and a laptop at my home - and I would like to install and use Trados on both. Guess what - THEORETICALLY I am allowed by virtue of my Freelance License to use it on 2 computers, but PRACTICALLY I cannot since the two computers share the same internet connection, and are considered part of the same network.

So, I was told, my only option was to get a second internet provider for the sake of using Trados on 2 computers (something I have paid for!)

Again: If SDL is concerned with their customers' practical needs, this should be changed.

Tomas Forro
Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Slovak
+ ...
Wow May 12, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Kristina,

Tomas's post is correct if you are using a professional node locked license as this generates a unique license file using your computer's MAC address which is then accessed via your online SDL account. However, because you are using an activation code and not a node locked license it will need to be returned first.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-05-12 13:07 GMT]

That's actually weird - I have reinstalled Vista and formatted HDD on my laptop twice since I'm using Trados and I never returned any licence - yet everything is working.
I must be a lucky guy, so sorry for the confusion.
Anyway, I agree with you, Pavel!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Using two machines May 13, 2009

2) I have a desktop and a laptop at my home - and I would like to install and use Trados on both. Guess what - THEORETICALLY I am allowed by virtue of my Freelance License to use it on 2 computers, but PRACTICALLY I cannot since the two computers share the same internet connection, and are considered part of the same network.

First of all, this behaviour is by design and it is a limitation of the freelance version. However, if you change the workgroup name of either your desktop or your laptop, you can run the same Trados license on both machines at the same time.

ahenrick
ahenrick  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I have probably done it ... Sep 9, 2009

From the sound of it, I have probably used both of my granted licence usages by installing SDL Synergy on my laptop, then on my PC ... and then Synergy no longer worked on my laptop. I have tried returning my licence from the PC, but that was probably too late. Does anyone know what I can do now that I've messed it up??? I have deliveries tomorrow, and I need at least one of my installations to work first thing in the morning.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Amy

Rosa Alves
Rosa Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:08
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Will Trados work on laptop after returning the license from the desktop? Mar 31, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Kristina,

I'll have to format my desktop computer and have already used the activation code twice (to install Trados 2007 on both my desktop and laptop). If I return the license from the desktop computer before formatting it, will I be able to use the program without limitation on my laptop? This is a big concern for me because I want to be sure I will be able to keep on delivering jobs if I run into any problem during formatting...
I am using Trados 2007 Suite Freelance, version 8.0.

Thanks for your help!
Best regards,
Rosa

[Editado em 2010-03-31 00:34 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Activation code / License Mar 31, 2010

Hello Rosa,

...have already used the activation code twice (to install Trados 2007 on both my desktop and laptop). If I return the license from the desktop computer before formatting

there's a misunderstanding about the use of the activation code: you don't need it in order to install the software, but to activate it after installing it.

So, you return first your license (activated using your activation code) on your desktop (then you re-format or do anything you have / like to do with your hard disk).

If you have already installed Suite 2007 on your laptop. simply use your activation code to register your license.

The activation code can be used countless times, as you can return (de-register) and register your license countless times using the activation code.

Unless you have a Plus version, your FL license may be activated only on one PC / laptop at a time (once activated, the software is fully licensed, functional).

In this sense, the SDL activation code is different (or used a different way) from the activation codes for other softwares that may be used one or two times or to generate a specific installation code etc.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-03-31 04:23 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance on two computers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »