Mobile menu

Updating a TM with the final version document
Thread poster: CSquires

CSquires  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
Japanese to English
Dec 23, 2008

I have been requested to deliver a TM after the final version has been produced by an external publishing company which has worked in between the client and myself.

The project consisted of a source language pdf which was broken up into multiple trados tag documents. The project was delivered in stages to a desktop publishing company producing the final pdf document.

I have been given a final version of the document, which has a number of changes made to it, based on proofreader revisions. The document is in pdf target language format.

Given that I have only the target language final version and my bilingual TM, how can I update the TM without having to manually check every single line of the document against my originally translated ttx's?

The source language is missing so I am not sure how to update the text.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We have this situation often... Dec 23, 2008

...and the only safe solution is to check manually. However, you must know what changes they made in comparison with your source text. A PDF comparison or a marked PDF file are necessary.

Vito Smolej
Local time: 01:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Corrections in PDF - how to update TM? Dec 23, 2008

That's how I do it: I have PDF opened in Acrobat and the bilingual file in TagEditor. And then just repeat

a) get next correction in PDF
b) search for the corrected segment, change it, save it

The problem may be finding the "corrected" segment, if you do not have your original version of it in the PDF file; however, you can target for the segment before it and then step on to the segment that needs to be changed.

The alternative is to use Maintainance function in TWB - pretty useful if you want to make sure you have entered all the requested changes.

[Edited at 2008-12-23 17:24 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not easy Dec 24, 2008

You could align the final document and the source after conversion from pdf to rtf. That would deliver a new TM. The customer should be satisfied, I hope. But if you really want to update your old TM I would suggest to convert the first translation and the final version both to Word and use the merge and compare documents function in Normal view. That would show up all changes between both versions.
Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating a TM with the final version document

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs