https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/123737-converting_excel_to_tag_editor.html

Converting Excel to Tag Editor
Thread poster: Anthony Kehoe
Anthony Kehoe
Anthony Kehoe  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
Japanese to English
Dec 24, 2008

I have an Excel 2003 file, and Trados Freelance Ver. 8. How do I convert the Excel file for use in Trados, and then back again?

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TWB + Tag Editor + open file Dec 24, 2008

Hi,

open TWB, then Tag Editor. In Tag Editor click on "open file", make sure that either xls or all files is selected and then select the file to open (import).

While translating click on "save as bilingual" (you can do that only if all segments are closed). Once you have translated the whole file click on "save target as..." Don't forget to modify the name of the file (perhaps adding the target language code). This way you'll have a translated xls file.

Th
... See more
Hi,

open TWB, then Tag Editor. In Tag Editor click on "open file", make sure that either xls or all files is selected and then select the file to open (import).

While translating click on "save as bilingual" (you can do that only if all segments are closed). Once you have translated the whole file click on "save target as..." Don't forget to modify the name of the file (perhaps adding the target language code). This way you'll have a translated xls file.

That's it.

Giuliana
Collapse

Anthony Kehoe
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Error Message Dec 24, 2008

I've tried that. The following dialog box is displayed:

TagEditor
(80005): Connection with server application error:
Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

Goran Tasic
Goran Tasic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 17:14
Member (2006)
English to Serbian
+ ...
You need to hide the source text... Dec 24, 2008

In Excel file translation, you have usually in one column (column A) the source text, and the Agency expects the translation next into the column B (usually). Now, you have to copy column A (copy source text) and paste it into the empty column B. Then you need to hide column A, as to avoid TagEditor to see it. So when you import the Excel file into TagEditor, the application will see only the column B, in which you have copy/paste the source text. Now you do the translation and save at the end a... See more
In Excel file translation, you have usually in one column (column A) the source text, and the Agency expects the translation next into the column B (usually). Now, you have to copy column A (copy source text) and paste it into the empty column B. Then you need to hide column A, as to avoid TagEditor to see it. So when you import the Excel file into TagEditor, the application will see only the column B, in which you have copy/paste the source text. Now you do the translation and save at the end as target text. Open the Excel file and unhide column A. You will have the source text in column A and your translation in column B.

Hope this helped you out, as I am doing it this way and it works fine.

Regards
Collapse

Anthony Kehoe
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
No columns Dec 24, 2008

This isn't a column A, columns B issue. Really, this document should have been created usign Word, but as it has embedded graphs, I don't know what to do. Particularly because of the error message.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Dec 24, 2008

Goran Tasic wrote:

In Excel file translation, you have usually in one column (column A) the source text, and the Agency expects the translation next into the column B (usually). Now, you have to copy column A (copy source text) and paste it into the empty column B. Then you need to hide column A, as to avoid TagEditor to see it. So when you import the Excel file into TagEditor, the application will see only the column B, in which you have copy/paste the source text. Now you do the translation and save at the end as target text. Open the Excel file and unhide column A. You will have the source text in column A and your translation in column B.

Hope this helped you out, as I am doing it this way and it works fine.

Regards

Why would anyone want that? Either a two-column file, or CAT. Mixing the two seems totally pointless to me.

Obviously, the OP's problem is not this, and sadly, I cannot be of help with the error message.

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
Is the Excel file open? Dec 24, 2008

You have to be careful about file structure and open files.

I would open the original Excel file in Excel and save it, adding "-E" to the end of the file name. Then close that file.

Do as Giuliana says, being sure to select Microsoft Excel as the format. Open the file that has "-E" on the end of it.

If the file you're translating is open when you try to open it in TagEditor, that might give you problems. The same applies when you try to clean up the file at
... See more
You have to be careful about file structure and open files.

I would open the original Excel file in Excel and save it, adding "-E" to the end of the file name. Then close that file.

Do as Giuliana says, being sure to select Microsoft Excel as the format. Open the file that has "-E" on the end of it.

If the file you're translating is open when you try to open it in TagEditor, that might give you problems. The same applies when you try to clean up the file at the end. Also if you move the files around when you work, that might cause problems.

(My posts are delayed because Proz doesn't apparently believe I am who I say I am and needs to 'vet' each one, so you may not see this for a while. You can contact me directly through my profile if you need to. Happy 'Japanese Christmas'!)
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:14
English to Thai
+ ...
A number of causes Dec 25, 2008

For error code "(80005): Connection with server application error:
Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC," a number of factors is possible.
If I were you, I will create a new Excel file or Word file through "Copy All" out of the original Excel file.
I still try it with *.txt file format if error persists [words in graphic will be translated on later stages].
Next, I open the resulting file into TagEditor.
The error is possibly caused by linked graphic/object as well a
... See more
For error code "(80005): Connection with server application error:
Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC," a number of factors is possible.
If I were you, I will create a new Excel file or Word file through "Copy All" out of the original Excel file.
I still try it with *.txt file format if error persists [words in graphic will be translated on later stages].
Next, I open the resulting file into TagEditor.
The error is possibly caused by linked graphic/object as well as bad installation of MS Excel etc.
Nothing wrong is expected from TagEditor in this error code.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

Anthony Kehoe
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reconversion May 31, 2010

I found that the solution to the first part of my problem is to save the Excel 2003 file (and Excel 2007, for that matter) as an Excel book, which can then be imported directly into Tag Editor by clicking Open and then selecting the Excel book in question.
Now, can anyone tell me how to export the completed translation from Tag Editor into Excel, please?

[Edited at 2010-05-31 08:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Excel to Tag Editor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »