Mobile menu

Discover another workaround for missing Trados menu on Word
Thread poster: Genesis
Genesis  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 29, 2008

The Trados or MultiTerm menu on Microsft Word have been missing for a while after a vb crash or something. I tried all the solutions that I could possibly found on this forum and nothing worked.
Today, because my Acrobat Professional 8 had some problems and I was forced to downgrade it. Now the Trados menu appeared on Word again.
I am not sure this solution has been mentioned before, however, I can't guarantee it's a definite workaround.

Happy New Year!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
The old fashioned, official way Dec 29, 2008

Word
Tools
Templates and Add-ins
Tick TRADOS... and any other toolbar missing, or UNTICK any toolbar you do not want to appear

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Trados and PDF options Dec 29, 2008

I think it has been known for some time that various PDF options and plug-ins may interfere with Word and/or Trados. I too have Adobe Professional, and having seen various warnings I installed the software using the customised option, not the regular one, thus leaving out some menu options.

This was partly because of a bad experience I had when upgrading my Windows XP Pro to Service Pack 2 a couple of years ago. After that, Word could not be loaded. It would start normally, display the splash screen, then after two seconds crash.

I finally found a possible answer on a Microsoft help page -- you had to download some special software that would display all the DLLs loaded with Word (a Dynamic Link Library is a file of code containing functions that can be called from other executable code).

This special software showed that about 30 DLLs were loaded together with Word. The advice was to disable these one by one to identify the one causing the crash. Luckily I spotted a DLL specifically for PDF options, and disabling that solved the problem. That meant that I lost the option to convert a document to PDF format from inside Word, but that was a small price to pay for being able to use Word again. It also meant that Trados worked fine again (worth noting that Trados was not at fault in this - it was all down to the PDF DLL).

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
PDF conversion in Word Dec 29, 2008

Peter Linton wrote:
That meant that I lost the option to convert a document to PDF format from inside Word....

I assume you are referring to the toolbar function for conversion. However, you still have/had access to conversion via the print driver (Distiller or other), didn't you?

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
PDF conversion not in Word Dec 29, 2008

Kevin, you surmise correctly, I can always print to PDF (and I prefer doing it that way).

As I understand it, the PDF option in Word uses a template that clashes with the Trados template. So the official way of activating the Trados template (via Tools) does not work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discover another workaround for missing Trados menu on Word

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs