Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2009

I just purchased the most recent version of Trados/SDLX/Passolo. How can I get started familiarizing myself with the programs, given that there is apparently nobody in my area available to provide a one-on-one tutorial (there may be a class I can take next May, but I need to be up and running well before then).

A one-day training will be held in Washington DC in a couple of weeks, but this is really way too far for me to go.

Are there self-study guides (something like a
... See more
I just purchased the most recent version of Trados/SDLX/Passolo. How can I get started familiarizing myself with the programs, given that there is apparently nobody in my area available to provide a one-on-one tutorial (there may be a class I can take next May, but I need to be up and running well before then).

A one-day training will be held in Washington DC in a couple of weeks, but this is really way too far for me to go.

Are there self-study guides (something like a "Trados for Dummies") out there? Would simply aligning some of the past translations I have done provide sufficient orientation to how the program works?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Bob
Collapse

Emmanouela Patiniotaki
Emmanouela Patiniotaki
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:13
English to Greek
+ ...
Trados Help Jan 2, 2009

Hello there!

I could give you some instructions but try to launch the program first. When you click on the main icon you have many choices, such as Multiterm Converter. On the left, there are manuals provided. You can open and print them for free as long as the software is yours. Let me know if you got there and I could help you later on with any queries or problems.

Regards,
Emmanouela

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2009-01-02 14:55 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Emma Jan 2, 2009

What a generous offer!

I will do as you suggest, and keep you in mind as a resource if I get stuck.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!

Bob

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Online Jan 2, 2009

Hi Bob,

If you go to Community / Training Sessions (above in the toolbar), you'll see an option for online training on the left.

That's always an option if you can't make it to a one-on-one tutorial at a specific location.

One-on-one online training is given via Skype etc.

Happy New Year
Debs

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some help Jan 2, 2009

Hi Robert!

Take a look at this thread, there are a couple of good suggestions here, specially the link to "Trados for idiots, by an idiot".

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/42019-is_it_possible_to_use_trados_successfully_without_buying_support_package-.html

... See more
Hi Robert!

Take a look at this thread, there are a couple of good suggestions here, specially the link to "Trados for idiots, by an idiot".

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/42019-is_it_possible_to_use_trados_successfully_without_buying_support_package-.html

I used that guide, together with the Tutorials (Programs > SDL International > SDL Trados 2007 Freelance > Tutorials) to get started with the software.
The help files are useful too. I wouldn´t recommend to read the manuals if you have no idea how the software works, in my opinion, they are written for people who already know it.

Hope this helps, and a great year to all of you!
Marina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking suggestions for self-guided orientation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »