https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/124091-how_to_clean_up_many_baks_without_changing_the_ext_first_to_doc.html

how to clean up many BAKs without changing the ext first to DOC
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2009

Trados (6.5) user, Windows XP

I work in a team and receive - as part of our TM build/exchange deal - files to add to my TM.

However, sometimes I get them in BAK format, sometimes a large quantity together. When I try to clean up BAKs, Trados tells me it doesn't recognise this extension.

I don't want to rename the extension on 50 or 100 files if i can avoid it - for me and other team members (it's quite a few clicks, and I'm protective of my fingers-wrist
... See more
Trados (6.5) user, Windows XP

I work in a team and receive - as part of our TM build/exchange deal - files to add to my TM.

However, sometimes I get them in BAK format, sometimes a large quantity together. When I try to clean up BAKs, Trados tells me it doesn't recognise this extension.

I don't want to rename the extension on 50 or 100 files if i can avoid it - for me and other team members (it's quite a few clicks, and I'm protective of my fingers-wrist-arm).

Any solution?

TIA:-)

Ailish
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Discuss the situation with the supplier of files Jan 3, 2009

Hi Lia,

You should tell whoever supplies you with these files to send the bilingual versions as .doc files. Simple courtesy on their part!

Before cleaning the files, they should just make a copy of the bilingual files and put them in a 'Bilingual' folder, then clean the files to a 'Clean' folder, package the clean and bilingual folders, and finally deliver them.

Alternatively, they could provide you with a TM extract instead. This may be even easier.
... See more
Hi Lia,

You should tell whoever supplies you with these files to send the bilingual versions as .doc files. Simple courtesy on their part!

Before cleaning the files, they should just make a copy of the bilingual files and put them in a 'Bilingual' folder, then clean the files to a 'Clean' folder, package the clean and bilingual folders, and finally deliver them.

Alternatively, they could provide you with a TM extract instead. This may be even easier.

HTH.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely Jan 3, 2009

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

I entirely agree.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can write a batch file to copy & rename them all Jan 3, 2009

I don't want to rename the extension on 50 or 100 files if i can avoid it - for me and other team members (it's quite a few clicks, and I'm protective of my fingers-wrist-arm).

for instance:

copy *.bak *.doc

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TCmd Jan 3, 2009

Just install Total Commander and batch rename them.
Select all the files you need to rename, right click and rename to *.doc.

You could also tell the translators to stop using the dumbest feature in Trados and stop harassing you with files that have a nonexistent extension, of course.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Flexible Renamer - useful freeware Jan 3, 2009

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830/english/FlexRena/

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
it's just words, right? Jan 3, 2009

You could also tell the translators to stop using the dumbest feature in Trados and stop harassing you with files that have a nonexistent extension, of course.

This kind of communication would probably do wonders as regards the understanding and mutual respect among the parties involved;P

[Edited at 2009-01-03 10:51 GMT]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all:-) Jan 3, 2009

I needed to know if it was possible, and, now I know it isn't, I'll ask people to distribute DOCs and not BAKs.

I think that they simply weren't aware that Trados doesn't recognise BAKs. Most of them actually use other CAT tools but we have agreed to share Trados/Wordfast-style bilingual texts.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
well I would use more polite wording Jan 3, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

This kind of communication would probably do wonders as regards the understanding and mutual respect among the parties involved;P

... but the facts still remain the same. It is a pretty useless feature. If at least it was .doc.bak it would make some limited sense. One would at least know if the file is an .rtf or a .doc.

BTW does any other CAT tool produce ".bak files"?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Useless? - question ... Jan 3, 2009

It is a pretty useless feature.

No need to use it. However, it did save my hide couple of times. Of course there's more sensible ways of avoiding the data loss. But it takes some coaching, not a hammer
If at least it was .doc.bak it would make some limited sense.

Whoever can't handle a file with BAK extension, will have a problem with DOC.BAK or RTF.BAK as well - assuming first of all his or her OS can handle this kind of extension - legacy problem for SDL? -.
Point about DOC vs RTF well made btw.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-01-03 19:05 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Wordfast does handle bak-files Jan 4, 2009

When cleaning doc Wf creates a bak-file. But I can open the bak file in word, do changes to the text and clean up again without any problems.
Trados Workbench actually uses rtf as an intermediate format.
That's reminds me of a posting I'd like to make. I'll aks what feature of Trados users dislike the most and which new feature would be on top of their wish-list.

Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to clean up many BAKs without changing the ext first to DOC

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »