Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 4, 2009

There are rumours about the next version of Trados and the new features it will offer. But here I'd like to ask you, which feature you would put on your personal wish-list.
Which feature of Trados should be changed or improved in the first place or which new feature should be added?

Happy 2009!

Regards
Heinrich

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:09
English to German
+ ...
All features should be removed Jan 4, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Which feature of Trados should be changed or improved in the first place or which new feature should be added?

SDLX will be sufficient.

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:09
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Full, transparent and native or near native support of the sdlx environment from Workbench/TagEditor Jan 4, 2009

The ability to translate itd files from the highly productive Workbench/TagEditor environment utilizing all its features, e.g. batch translate with term translation and machine translation, and delivering repetitions in the itd files with the same coloring as the SDLX editor would - so essentially delivering an itd file that looks completely as if it had been translated with the SDLX editor. That would save me at least one hour of a working day when I translate itd files.

Kim

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TIC Jan 4, 2009

I wish it vanished from the face of the Earth.

Piotr

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The suggestions do get collected Jan 4, 2009

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/

It's just a question, how realistic and/or hard to implement they are.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
just two small things Jan 4, 2009

1) Solve the age-old problem where complex formatting in Word documents makes Trados go nuts and change the font. Don't tell me those Word docs are incorrectly formatted because they are not. SDL doesn't get to decide how everyone has to write documents.

2) Provide an export function in Multiterm. I mean an actual export you can use. That works. Tab delimited txt that doesn't go nuts if all of the entries don't have all of their fields filled in. I would cry in joy if that happened.
... See more
1) Solve the age-old problem where complex formatting in Word documents makes Trados go nuts and change the font. Don't tell me those Word docs are incorrectly formatted because they are not. SDL doesn't get to decide how everyone has to write documents.

2) Provide an export function in Multiterm. I mean an actual export you can use. That works. Tab delimited txt that doesn't go nuts if all of the entries don't have all of their fields filled in. I would cry in joy if that happened.

See, SDL? I'm not asking for much.
Collapse

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Multiterm Jan 4, 2009

FarkasAndras, I agree.

Multiterm is designed to support multilingual n-dimensional glossaries with any number of field and any hierarchy within each language. This is probably important to many larger translation agencies. Multiterm data are structured with XML which is a great idea for complex data structures like those. The challenge is that the data is very difficult to maintain for the end user.

I think most freelancers just need a simple flat structure that is ea
... See more
FarkasAndras, I agree.

Multiterm is designed to support multilingual n-dimensional glossaries with any number of field and any hierarchy within each language. This is probably important to many larger translation agencies. Multiterm data are structured with XML which is a great idea for complex data structures like those. The challenge is that the data is very difficult to maintain for the end user.

I think most freelancers just need a simple flat structure that is easier to manage when doing import and export. I would suggest allowing 2-dimensional glossaries where you can import and export with e.g. Excel and/or CSV formats.
It should also be possible to replace terms rather than adding duplicate terms when importing. I often receive glossary updates from my clients, and I have to either update manually within MultiTerm or perform an export/consolidate/create new glossary/import which is tedious.

Kim
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Quality not quantity Jan 4, 2009

SDL Trados and SDL do seem to have quality problems which cannot be overcome by adding more features.

Therefore my whish list would look like this.

• Reliable installation routine for Trados
    e.g. one without the famous error message 1606 "Could not access network location"

• Reliable documentation<... See more
SDL Trados and SDL do seem to have quality problems which cannot be overcome by adding more features.

Therefore my whish list would look like this.

• Reliable installation routine for Trados
    e.g. one without the famous error message 1606 "Could not access network location"

• Reliable documentation
    i.e. documentation that does not claim „It is possible to have SDL Trados 2007 Suite and earlier versions of SDL Trados installed on the same machine.“ when one of the first messages during installation sounds like „earlier version of the product detected, installation will be aborted.

• Professional error/quality management
    e. g. a free accessible database that contains all known issues, independent if a workaround or a patch exists. I’m referring again to errors such as error 1606 that is known at least since March 2008 but as far as I know not documented in the SDL Trados knowledgebase.

I have been working with Trados since Version 5 and I quite liked the programs up to now. Since Trados was taken over by SDL, the quality of the customer service, the documentation and of the program dropped in my opinion to a level that is hardly tolerable.

So I don’t want to see new features, I want a program that is easy to install, and works as described in the user manual. I want documentation that describes the functionality of the software and how to use it and I want some honest and complete documentation describing which problems/issues are known and if and/or what workarounds or patches are available to solve them.

Siegfried

[Edited at 2009-01-04 15:52 GMT]
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
English to Japanese
+ ...
cannot agree more! Jan 4, 2009

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Piotr

Rie

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Big words Jan 4, 2009

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Piotr

If you are serious about your statement, why not start by not mentioning it in your profile, your website and your CV where its says:

I am able to ensure consistency and quality of translation by using state-of-the-art Computer Aided Translation tools (SDL Trados, SDLX, Heartsome Translation Suite)

Siegfried

RB Translations
RB Translations  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados for Mac Jan 4, 2009

I would love to be able to run Trados directly on my Mac (without installing Windows), but I think it's never going to happen!

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Too many different technologies glued together Jan 5, 2009

Roberta Bazzoni wrote:

I would love to be able to run Trados directly on my Mac (without installing Windows), but I think it's never going to happen!

Unfortunately, Trados is a piece of software created with too many different technologies (Java, .NET and gods only know what else). I wouldn't expect Mac version, first they would have to rewrite everything.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what is expected Jan 5, 2009

According to a German source these featured are expected (or feared) to be implemented in the next version of Trados (TE):

Two column view like in SDLX editor. (IMO good)

An Autocomplete feature

A stronger orientation towards WYSIWYG

TTX format replaced by XLIFF (could be good thing, more openness)

TM format something like MS SQL

My top of the wish-list: Save as target with simultaneously updating the TM.
... See more
According to a German source these featured are expected (or feared) to be implemented in the next version of Trados (TE):

Two column view like in SDLX editor. (IMO good)

An Autocomplete feature

A stronger orientation towards WYSIWYG

TTX format replaced by XLIFF (could be good thing, more openness)

My top of the wish-list: Save as target with simultaneously updating the TM.

Regards

Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-01-05 15:29 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
TXT? Not TTX? Jan 5, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

TXT format replaced by XLIFF (could be good thing, more openness)

1. I guess you had TTX format on your mind
2. MS SQL? That will be really funny, another bloatware to be installed on the desktop (unless you plan to deploy some heavily armed Server in your home server room and move TMs there).

julienwp (X)
julienwp (X)
France
English to French
Grammar check Jan 5, 2009

ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=510&q=grammar
I've posted this one a long time ago. Feel free to vote for it

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your wish-list regarding next version of Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »