Mobile menu

Help! Non-breaking spaces appear as & n b s p ; in TagEditor
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
English to French
+ ...
Jan 7, 2009

I am having a bit of trouble today. For some reason, every time I use the Ctrl + Shift + Space shortcut (or click on the non-breaking space symbol in the TagEditor toolbar), instead of simply producing a space, TagEditor inserts the string & n b s p ; into the target segment. This is not an actual tag, but a simple text string. The document I'm working on is a Word document, which means that this string will appear in the Word document, which is something I prefer to avoid.

I don't know why this is happening, especially since I've been working on this document with the same setup since yesterday and things were working properly. TagEditor just started doing this now.

I am using Workbench - please don't tell me to upgrade. I am in the middle of a contract and it is a bad idea to upgrade now. The reason why I am using an older version of Trados is that I switched computers recently and started by installing the oldest version I could download, since it is more stable than more recent versions (I am planning to install the current version once I'm done with this contract - hopefully, it will work as designed).

Does anybody know why I am having this problem and what I can do to correct it?

FYI, I am also using ApSic XBench for this project. When I first ask XBench to open a segment in TagEditor, it automatically prompts me to pick a DTD, to which I reply by clicking Cancel. This is what I have always done and it has always worked fine. Could it be that my not choosing a DTD has something to do with this?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2009-01-07 20:27 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elvina Tran  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
German to French
+ ...
Alt+0160 Jan 7, 2009

Hello Viktoria,

I once had this problem. I do not know if my solution will work for you but it is worth a try. Instead of Ctrl + Shift + Space, use Alt+0160. It also produces a non-breakable space.

Good luck.

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:04
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Can't help, but here is a workaround Jan 7, 2009

Can't solve the main problem - inserting HTML entities where they are not appropriate, - but there is a simple workaround. Instead of typing Alt+0160 every time (or clicking on the toolbar of that nice program that you suggested here some time ago, the name of wich escapes me right now), you could just leave all the &.... . And when the document is finished and cleaned up, you can perform a bulk find and replace in MS Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Non-breaking spaces appear as & n b s p ; in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs