Mobile menu

Compatibility SDL Trados 2007 + quark express - Urgent!
Thread poster: Eloïse Notet

Eloïse Notet  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
Jan 8, 2009

I am working with SDL Trados 2007 and have been asked for a job in Quark express. The files have been created with Quark Express 7.31. I tried to convert directly the closed file into a tag Editor format, but I obtain one file with wrong characters and the other file is not converted (error 80003 from trados). I think the project contains more than those two files, and i really want to use trados to make the job easier.
I am not sure I do the right thing to convert the file..and not sure at all that those twor versions are compatible.

I have to answer my client tomorrow morning to tell him if I can do the job or not... so, if you can help, do not hesitate to answer asap!!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
CopyFlow... Jan 8, 2009

Hello Eloïse,

QuarkXPress 7.x is only supported through the third-party application, CopyFlow. You must use CopyFlow to translate your QuarkXPress 7.x files and then export the translated files back from CopyFlow to use with SDL Trados.

You can purchase CopyFlow Gold from here:

You can get more information on CopyFlow Gold For QuarkXPress 7 via

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not sure Jan 8, 2009

I've tried copy flow myself and can't say I was satisfied with the results, especially if the source file is complex. I think QuarkXpress files are generally not very suitable for translation, unless your client wants just plain text.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Quark express is a DTP tool Jan 8, 2009

Normally translators do not translate in Quark express, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Pagemaker... you name it. If your client wants you to translate his Quark express material, he himself should export it to some CAT tool (say, Trados TagEditor) and himself import the translation back there.

It is highly unreasonable to expect translators to do the translation in programmes, which 1st- cost a fortune, 2nd- take months to learn them.

And no translator can be expected to create any translatable file from any DTP source file- this is Agency job and problem.

In short- if you do not receive the job in translatable format- you shouldn't accept it (exception may be scanned handwritten files- but then you can print them out and translate from paper copy- at least this doesn't oblige to you purchase and learn sophisticated software).

To SDL Support:

Thank you for your info, it may come useful to somebody, however in this particular case it doesn't seem right to me that the translator should purchase any additional software to do the job. As I wrote above, it's the outsourcer's problem.

Enotet wrote:
I am working with SDL Trados 2007 and have been asked for a job in Quark express.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-01-08 23:48 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:51
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
FAQ question Jan 9, 2009

You can check link here:

In brief, a special plug in of QuarkExpress is read and translated by Trados TaxEditor. No need to purchase an extra and expensive software.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility SDL Trados 2007 + quark express - Urgent!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs