Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 9, 2009

I have been translating a 200+ page document with lots of chapters and sub-chapters. If it were a Word-document, I would be ready since yesterday, because Word would be able to generate the TOC itself at the final stage. But the files come from some dtp-program, and the TOC is a separate file that needs to be translated.
But here Trados TE is not helpful at all. If WB recognises a match, the chapter numbers are not updated, only the page number.

But most of the time there is no recognition at all, and I have to search the translation from concordance and copy and past it from there.

So at this stage much of the time-saving I achieve using CAT is lost, because the TOC needs translating. The good thing of course is that the TOC counts in the analysis and the customer pays. But do customers realise that they lose money in the process?

One more reason for sticking to Word-files. Or what do you think?

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what about the DTP program? Jan 9, 2009

... But the files come from some dtp-program, and the TOC is a separate file that needs to be translated.

I dont know the complete context, but I guess the TOC could be generated by that program, pretty much the same way Word does it. Talking to the client would make sense.

...But here Trados TE is not helpful at all. If WB recognises a match, the chapter numbers are not updated, only the page number...

What about changing the segmentation rules for this file? Or massaging the source a little - even if it is some strange xml-like file, it must still be something like [chap no][chap name][page no]

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-01-09 04:40 GMT]

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Change style in Word Jan 9, 2009

Hello,

you can change the style (to a not translatable style) of the chapter numbers in Word and they will not be in the translatable text in TE.

Regards

Hans

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But they pay for it Jan 9, 2009

So if I convince them to use their software for updating the TOC (if they can do it) I must reduce my bill by 1670 words.
This is only the last chapter in a long story. Because they use some dtp-software, the end-client is not able to make corrections but writes them on hard-copy, which goes back to me or the agency. The work-flow would be much easier and cheaper if they would use Word. And the final product would improve, I'm sure.

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-01-09 09:02 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Rather than "yes or no", it is a "how much" question. Jan 9, 2009

So if I convince them to use their software for updating the TOC (if they can do it) I must reduce my bill.
For how much? Could not be THAT much...

Under the bottom line, it is definitely cheaper and better for all, if this automatable step is left to a program. And it should not cost more than say 20 € to do. Of course, if the user has to pay Paul to pay Peter to have Alice do it ... then it is easier to badger Henrich into doing it (sg).

Maybe you can use the experience - after all the invoices have been paid (g) - to discuss it with everybody involved, to avoid repeating the experience.

Regards

Vito

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Fuzzy threshold Jan 9, 2009

Hi Heinrich,
I assume the DTP program is Adobe Framemaker (if it is, there will be some files called "ancillary.xxx").
I suggest that you translate the TOC first and then the individual chapters while lowering the Fuzzy Recognition threshold to some 66%.
As for concordancing, yes it is not as fast as getting the translation suggested by TWB, but think about the time you would spend if you had to open the file with the TOC each and every time you are about to translate a chapter or a sub-chapter name. Concordance search is still much quicker.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I never translate the TOC first Jan 9, 2009

The meaning of the header often opens only after I have translated the chapter. Even now, when I finished the book, I noticed some headers that needed re-translating.
All the headers are in the TM, but Trados is not able to understand chapter numbers like 4.5 but presents 4,6 instead. And if it finds the translation of the text, it does not apply the chapter numbers nor the rest. But that was to be expected in this special case.

I noticed earlier that Trados suggests always 23 ºC, no matter what the source segment is (-2 ºC or 12 ºC). Numbers and units seem to be the weak point of Trados.

But its over now.

Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TOC in TE - a desaster

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs