Thread poster: Tammo Kamminga (X)
Tammo Kamminga (X)
Tammo Kamminga (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:41
English to Dutch
Jan 9, 2009

Hello everyone,

I just started translating a Word document (Word 2002) with Trados 2007 Workbench, but Trados (or Word?) changes the text font, size and style . What happens is the following:

I position the cursor at the beginning of a text segment - Trados opens a translation unit - I enter a translation or edit the given translation (during this time the text style is preserved) - then I close the translation unit and open the next (double arrow or ALT NUM+) and THEN
... See more
Hello everyone,

I just started translating a Word document (Word 2002) with Trados 2007 Workbench, but Trados (or Word?) changes the text font, size and style . What happens is the following:

I position the cursor at the beginning of a text segment - Trados opens a translation unit - I enter a translation or edit the given translation (during this time the text style is preserved) - then I close the translation unit and open the next (double arrow or ALT NUM+) and THEN the style of the closed translation (the previous sentence) is converted to my own default style . I've tried to change the style afterwards, but there are so many styles available under Styles and formatting tha't that's not the way. And Trados should preserve the formatting right??

The Style of the text that I must translate is for example "(Latin) Arial, 11 pt, Justified, Before: 6 pt" and after translation it is just "10 pt" (the default style) ).

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Tammo Kamminga
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just use TagEditor Jan 9, 2009

and all your problems will be gone.
Dealing with Word and style changes may be very time consuming, as this is caused by bad formatting in your document, language settings and some other, not always distinguishable factors.
When translating with TagEditor, no style changes appear, though.

Niels Stephan
Niels Stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
Often discussed Jan 9, 2009

This has often been discussed in the past. You can search the forum for "Trados + styles". (It's considered to be a styles problem.)
The solution usually was something I didn't consider usable and/or helpful though.

Tammo Kamminga (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
what if customer wants a bilingual .doc file Jan 9, 2009

Thanks for the reply Jerzy.

I've been thinking about using TagEditor, maybe I will do just that, allthough I get a little crazy of all the tags, but now I go crazy with Word also, so.... But what if the customer wants a bilingual .doc file. To my (limited) knowledge TagEditor only produces bilingual file in .ttx format.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Other tools... Jan 9, 2009

Tammo Kamminga wrote:

Thanks for the reply Jerzy.

I've been thinking about using TagEditor, maybe I will do just that, allthough I get a little crazy of all the tags, but now I go crazy with Word also, so.... But what if the customer wants a bilingual .doc file.

So, presegment in Trados and use another CAT
My preferred one is DVX (ask http://www.atril.com for 30 days trial codes), but you can get a trial version of Swordfish (30 days too) and import the doc file saved as rtf or (better) docx.

The list is not exhaustive, of course, you may use MemoQ, Wordfast etc.
If you want to work in Word, Wordfast should do the job better than Trados.

PS.
DVX produces better Trados RTF/DOC than Trados itself, no font corruption etc.

To my (limited) knowledge TagEditor only produces bilingual file in .ttx format.

You're right.
Alhough some of us remember the .bif files

Cheers
GG

Tammo Kamminga (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I'll have a look at it Jan 9, 2009

Thanks for the tips. I will certainly look into those other tools! For this job I'll just use TagEditor.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:41
English to Thai
+ ...
My solutions Jan 9, 2009

To get unclean, bilingual file in MS Word.
1. Use WordFast 5.5 etc. that maintains original Format.
OR
2. First translate the file with TagEditor to obtain TM.
3. Use that TM to translate with Trados + Word. Format changes rarely occur.
OR
4. Use Trados straightforward with Word. But press Ctrl+End after each segment to prevent format change. This is very boresome if your document has 10000 segments etc.
OR
5. Read knowledge of SDL Trados. But I fo
... See more
To get unclean, bilingual file in MS Word.
1. Use WordFast 5.5 etc. that maintains original Format.
OR
2. First translate the file with TagEditor to obtain TM.
3. Use that TM to translate with Trados + Word. Format changes rarely occur.
OR
4. Use Trados straightforward with Word. But press Ctrl+End after each segment to prevent format change. This is very boresome if your document has 10000 segments etc.
OR
5. Read knowledge of SDL Trados. But I found Trados's suggestion about format change is not successful at all instances.
Soonthon L.
Collapse

Rasmus Persson (X)
Rasmus Persson (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
French to Swedish
+ ...
Another solution Jan 10, 2009

I found this method works quite well for me (actually it is a bit like Soonthon's second solution):

1. Translate the text as usual in Word, without caring too much about the format changes that occur. This is just to get the TM, this particular Word file will not be used.

2. Now start over from another copy of the file containing the source text (and not the target segments). Perform a batch translation on this file from TW using the TM you already have.

O
... See more
I found this method works quite well for me (actually it is a bit like Soonthon's second solution):

1. Translate the text as usual in Word, without caring too much about the format changes that occur. This is just to get the TM, this particular Word file will not be used.

2. Now start over from another copy of the file containing the source text (and not the target segments). Perform a batch translation on this file from TW using the TM you already have.

Of course, this only works as long as you're working on a TM that does not allow multiple translations of identical source segments.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preserve text format while translating with Trados and Word 2002

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »