trados freelance 2007 - no VIETNAMESE!!!
Thread poster: The Good Translator
The Good Translator
The Good Translator  Identity Verified
Australia
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2009

I just installed Trados 2007 into my friend's computer which is using Windows XP. This computer support languages certainly include Vietnamese as I can view and type Vietnamese with it. However, after I selected English, French and Vietnamese during installation, when I create Translation Memory, there is no Vietnamese but English and French! I asked the Support guy and he said I need to reinstall and choose more languages in the Regional and Language Options. After reinstallation, it is still t... See more
I just installed Trados 2007 into my friend's computer which is using Windows XP. This computer support languages certainly include Vietnamese as I can view and type Vietnamese with it. However, after I selected English, French and Vietnamese during installation, when I create Translation Memory, there is no Vietnamese but English and French! I asked the Support guy and he said I need to reinstall and choose more languages in the Regional and Language Options. After reinstallation, it is still the same. As I told earlier, this computer already supports Vietnamese.

I suspect the download file I got from SDL was corrupt. I used TRados 2007 on other computers and it works fine.

Can you help me with this?
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:33
English to Thai
+ ...
Urgent solutions Jan 10, 2009

Vietnamese is very similar to French with regard to Roman letter keying.
If I were you, I pretend to use EN-FR pair when I want to use EN-VN pair.
Translation memory and translation job can continue work flow flawlessly [but you feel anxious about the job output] for Vietnamese.
If you use SDLX [licluded in Trados 2007 package], you can select many languages without restriction to 5 languages in Trados.
Are you familiar with SDLX?

Soonthon L.

Edith Goebel
Edith Goebel  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
German to Danish
+ ...
change "Default input language" Jan 10, 2009

I had a similar problem some time ago:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/71094-tageditor_cant_switch_to_korean_characters.html

Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options
Click the "Languages" tab and click "Details..."
Change the "Default input language" to Vietnamese.
<
... See more
I had a similar problem some time ago:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/71094-tageditor_cant_switch_to_korean_characters.html

Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options
Click the "Languages" tab and click "Details..."
Change the "Default input language" to Vietnamese.

Good luck!

Edith
Collapse

KLinh
KLinh  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 10:33
Member (2008)
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
I had the same problem before Jan 11, 2009

Hi An,

I had the same problem before. And here is how I fixed: Go to Regional and Language Settings. In the language tab, check "Install files for complex scripts and right-to-left languages (including Thai)", then click Apply. You will be asked to insert your Windows XP CD-Rom. After inserting the CD, the Vietnamese language will be installed in the system. Open Trados, you will see the Vietnamese language already there!

Hope this helps.

The Good Translator
The Good Translator  Identity Verified
Australia
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 20, 2009

Thank you all. I fixed it. Thanks Linh

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados freelance 2007 - no VIETNAMESE!!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »