working with tag editor
Thread poster: Slobodan Mirkovic, M.D., CoreCHI, HIPAA

Slobodan Mirkovic, M.D., CoreCHI, HIPAA  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:01
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jan 12, 2009

Could someone point to / post quick guide for proofreding/editing in tag editor, please?
I have following files:

source file.doc
target file.doc
target file.doc.ttx
target.iix
target.mdf
target.mtf
target.mwf
target.tmw
target.tmw_v1.txt
target.tmw_v2.txt

The reason I am asking are those horror stories of people ending up with their work messed up in tag editor.
I am using word 2003
Trados 7.0

What exactly is normally delivered to the client?Clean and uncleaned versions, updated or non-updated TM..?

All information is greatly appreciated.

[Edited at 2009-01-12 09:02 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maureen Wilkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
client/agency instructions Jan 12, 2009

Hi Slobodan
The client/agency should tell you exactly what they expect you to deliver back to them.

If you are editing a file, after it has been translated by someone else, you probably need to deliver them back the revised "target file.doc.ttx". But they may also need you to deliver back a revised memory too.

Kind Regards
Maureen

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you offer Trados-based services? Jan 12, 2009

I assume you do, so you probably bought the tool or received it temporarily from the customer. I would sincerely recommend that you take a course on Trados, so that you can make full use of the tool and exploit all its possibilities.

Canada
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jan 12, 2009

Hi Maureen,
Thank you for your reply.

Mr. Cano,
I suggest you to re-read my question. The main focus of the question was: what is normally delivered to the client (for the standard rate).

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I assume you do, so you probably bought the tool or received it temporarily from the customer. I would sincerely recommend that you take a course on Trados, so that you can make full use of the tool and exploit all its possibilities.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask the customer Jan 12, 2009

Maureen Wilkins wrote:
If you are editing a file, after it has been translated by someone else, you probably need to deliver them back the revised "target file.doc.ttx". But they may also need you to deliver back a revised memory too.

Indeed, it's best just to ask the customer what they expect from you.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The focus of the question Jan 12, 2009

Slobodan Mirkovic wrote:
Mr. Cano,
I suggest you to re-read my question. The main focus of the question was: what is normally delivered to the client (for the standard rate).

Sorry if I misunderstood, but to me the focus of the topic was "Could someone point to / post quick guide for proofreding/editing in tag editor, please?". So I assumed you wanted information about how to work with TagEditor...

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
work on target file.doc.ttx Jan 12, 2009

You have to open Workbench, but using the Workbench files sent by your client.
First open target.mwf
Next, open target file.doc.ttx using TagEditor.
Edit the file. Send it to your client.

You can check the original using source file.doc

If you edit the ttx file and send it to you client, he/she will have to clean up the file and import it to his/her translation memory. I would recommend you to do that.

You can also edit the target file.doc using track changes in order to your client or his/her translator accept or reject your suggestions. If your client really wants that, he/he would only had sent you the target.doc file, not the ttx.

Kind regards

Clarisa

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
ApSic Comparator Jan 12, 2009

You can edit the bilingual TTX file and then use ApSic Comparator to create a report of your edits. The report displays in a table which segments you have edited (each row contains the source segment, the original target segment and the edited target segment, highlighting the changes you implemented). Whether your client wants a bilingual TTX file or a target file in its native format, this comes in handy, because Comparator allows you to simply edit as needed without having to highlight anything or add comments. The default report structure also includes two extra columns for you to enter comments on your edits.

If your client prefers to get the clean, translated file, you can use this method, then clean the file and send it to the client along with the comparison report of your edits. The client can then use the edited copy right away but s/he can also read your edits and take whatever action is necessary (fire the translator, promote the translator, ensure that your edits followed his/her directives or style guide, get an idea of the types of mistakes the translator made so s/he can coach the translator or of the types of mistakes already present in the source text that s/he may want to bring to his/her client's attention, etc.).

ApSic Comparator can be downloaded here: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_comparator.html

[Edited at 2009-01-12 21:38 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great tool! Jan 15, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

You can edit the bilingual TTX file and then use ApSic Comparator to create a report of your edits. The report displays in a table which segments you have edited (each row contains the source segment, the original target segment and the edited target segment, highlighting the changes you implemented). Whether your client wants a bilingual TTX file or a target file in its native format, this comes in handy, because Comparator allows you to simply edit as needed without having to highlight anything or add comments. The default report structure also includes two extra columns for you to enter comments on your edits.

ApSic Comparator can be downloaded here: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_comparator.html

Thanks for the info. I'll try it.

Clarisa

Canada
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all. Jan 20, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'll try it.

Clarisa

Thank you all for you valuable help.
Slobodan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

working with tag editor

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs