Freelance 2007 refuses to transfer license
Thread poster: Hugh Matthews

Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:51
Danish to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2009

For weeks now, I have been trying to transfer my license for Freelance 2007 from my old computer, an XP Pro machine to my new one, running Vista Home Premium.

This problem, together with a new Dell computer that only runs Vista has caused my own system, homo sapiens, to go down with stress, so please bear with me if the explanations are a bit quirky.

I have got so far in the process (with SDL as good as refusing to assist at all) that my old machine's rights to the license key have also been removed.

The original line in the license manager on my XP machine, the one containing the key, says: "permanent" under status.

One man with a lot of experience suggested a route a could take, but this does not work.

There is nothing special about my setup.

Version is 8.2.0.835 (build 835)

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:51
Member (2004)
German to English
I had that problem just recently Jan 13, 2009

I have a support contract but they said you have to hand back the licence on one machine before putting it on the other. Hope that helps
Gillian

Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Quoting from memory... Jan 13, 2009

Gillian Searl wrote:

I have a support contract but they said you have to hand back the licence on one machine before putting it on the other. Hope that helps
Gillian

I remember seeing somewhere on trados documentation that you can have the same licence on two machines at the same time for the freelance version. I'm going to have to put my memory on test very shortly because I also just changed computers (keeping the old one, mind) and I hope I'll be able to install trados on the new/vista one without losing the possibility to use it on the old PC at home. Wish me good luck!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Visit the Solution Finder... Jan 13, 2009

Hello Hugh,

You are entitled to free licensing and installation support from our support team. I would recommend visiting the solution finder and follow the steps provided to see if there is a common answer to your question.

If your problem is not resolved then you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as possible.

To visit the solution finder please follow these instructions:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login with your username and password

3. Go to "My Support"

4. Select "Licensing and Installation Help"

5. Read the instructions and then select the "Solution finder direct link"

6. Select the "Licensing Problems" link in the left hand navigation pane

7. Answer the questions accordingly

Again, you will be given a support form to fill out if you don't find a solution.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Returning the licence Jan 13, 2009

Hugh Matthews wrote:

This problem, together with a new Dell computer that only runs Vista has caused my own system, homo sapiens, to go down with stress, so please bear with me if the explanations are a bit quirky.

The reason may be in your own system, "homo sapiens". My, and most other people's, system is "homo sapiens sapiens".

Nah, just kidding...

Anyway, back to your problem: if you want to transfer a Trados licence from one machine to another, you have to return it first from your old machine via the Licence Manager. Once you do that, you can download the same licence into your new machine. Have you tried that?

Diana Mecarelli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
license turned back, new activation failed Jan 15, 2009

I have the same problem, but I don't use Vista but Windows XP Professional on notebook and Home on PC. I installed SDL (build 863) on the notebook, then turned back the license, completely formatted C: (system) and reinstalled everything to get a freshly new notebook.

I installed the SDL Trados Freelance Suite on my PC, did activation, it worked. Then, as the usual second installation (as it is the freelance version) I installed it again on my new formatted notebok, where everything else works fine (Windows XP Professional with Office 2007). Activation failed, but shows the error message
Could not contact activation server (Error code 50018)

Searched the whole SDL/talisma and the whole Internet for a solution, didn't find anthing.

Internet-Settings worked as before, did check the Firewall, everything's fine

[Bearbeitet am 2009-01-15 11:04 GMT]

Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New license key solved problem Jan 15, 2009

Sorry I haven't responded before now.

The solution to my problem came very quickly from SDL in the form of a new license, so now I am up and running - well my machine is anyhow.

My main problem was that explanations from several sources as to how I should relinquish then re-acquire my license simply did not fit with the reality of what I was seeing on screen.

My new installtion works well apart from not allowing clean-ups - due to the lack of a missing log file according to one response I got on another thread here.

I haven't yet seen "the server has thrown an exception", which I think is one of the most irritating thing I have seen from any piece of software, requiring a reboot to get Word files to open again. Tight deadlines are bad enough as it is withoput having to reboot ...

Diana Mecarelli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Same problem, not solved yet Jan 16, 2009

I did post what happened to me and how the problem was solved:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/125059-create_new_project_not_activated_and_activation_failed.html

So pray that you'll never need to setup/reboot one of your systems

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance 2007 refuses to transfer license

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs