https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/124973-cant_clean_up_file_folder_moved_or_renamed.html

Can't clean up file "folder ... moved or renamed"
Thread poster: Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:45
Danish to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2009

Have just installed Freelance 2007 to Vista and opened a TM, translated a Word (2000) doc file and selected Tools > Cleanup and selected the file. Pressing Clean Up gives me the following error message:

"(50104): Folder does not exist, was moved or renamed (C:\Users\Hugh\Documents\My..."

The folder DOES exist, has NOT been moved OR renamed.

Ideas please.

Freelance 2007 SP2

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:45
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Create a log file Jan 14, 2009

Trados is looking for a log file, where the details of the operation will be recorded.
The missing file or folder requested is the log file or its folder.

To solve, simply create a log file in a folder of your choice (for example in the same location where the TM is, located, but anything will do) and voilà, it will work.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2009-01-14 11:21 GMT]

Veroniki Velli
Veroniki Velli  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:45
English to Greek
+ ...
Did you use Tag Editor? Jan 14, 2009

In case you used Tag Editor, the original file should be in the same folder with the unclean file.
This might be the problem...

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
A quick way for cleaning word documents Jan 14, 2009

Hello,

Gianfranco and Veroniki advice are correct, but I'd like to tell you that for word documents there is a very fast way for cleaning.

Tools>macro>macro>Twincleanmain.

I use this system with heavy documents or when I am in a hurry.

Bye bye

Angio

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:45
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The macro does not update the TM, though, so be careful Jan 14, 2009

Angioletta Garbarino wrote:

Hello,

Gianfranco and Veroniki advice are correct, but I'd like to tell you that for word documents there is a very fast way for cleaning.

Tools>macro>macro>Twincleanmain.

I use this system with heavy documents or when I am in a hurry.

Bye bye

Angio

Angio,
All that macro does is removing the Trados-tagged source segments, and the tags from the target segments. It does not update the TM.
So, if you modified anything in the target segments without opening them and saving them, after executing the macro you will not have those changes reflected in the TM.

Katalin

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Macro Jan 14, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:
Angio,
All that macro does is removing the Trados-tagged source segments, and the tags from the target segments. It does not update the TM.
So, if you modified anything in the target segments without opening them and saving them, after executing the macro you will not have those changes reflected in the TM.

Katalin

Right, I normally save also an uncleaned file for updating the TM

PS. Use of the macros is just for emergency, when I am in a hurry and the document give me problems.

The correct way is of course the creation of a log file

Bye bye All

[Edited at 2009-01-15 12:50 GMT]

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try the log file... Jan 15, 2009

Hi

The macro got me out of a sticky mess - thank you all for that one. I can reclean to update the TM when I get the proper Clean Up function to work.

Muito obrigado senhor Gianfranco! I will try your solution, which sounds very convincing. Why, I wonder, doesn't Trados create its own log?

BTW Gianfranco, if you can be in Fortalaza in the first few days of February I'll buy you a beer - or perhaps a best caipirinha would be more fitting?

Thank
... See more
Hi

The macro got me out of a sticky mess - thank you all for that one. I can reclean to update the TM when I get the proper Clean Up function to work.

Muito obrigado senhor Gianfranco! I will try your solution, which sounds very convincing. Why, I wonder, doesn't Trados create its own log?

BTW Gianfranco, if you can be in Fortalaza in the first few days of February I'll buy you a beer - or perhaps a best caipirinha would be more fitting?

Thanks folks

Hugh M
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:45
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados logs Jan 15, 2009

Hugh Matthews wrote:
Why, I wonder, doesn't Trados create its own log?

Trados can create the log, it just needs to be told where, and with what name.

They do not take default decision, as they could, and issue an appropriate message about it.
For example, they could use the same name of the memory, and create the .log file in the same folder, but they don't do it.

To add to the confusion, the message about the missing log is not very clear, causing puzzlement in many users.

bye
Gianfranco

Fortaleza is a bit too far from here. If you come to Sao Paulo, send me a message, I'll be glad to have a drink together.

[Edited at 2009-01-15 12:51 GMT]

Emma R (X)
Emma R (X)
Local time: 03:45
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Jan 15, 2009

GianFranco,
Many many thanks for this, I was having the same problem and it's been resolved in seconds despite my panic! The issue was to be able to solve the cleaning whilst updating the database.
Grazie!
Emma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't clean up file "folder ... moved or renamed"

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »